M 7.3 - 2025 Sand Point, Alaska Earthquake, 16 July, 2025

  • Thread starter Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
4 replies · 3K views
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2025 Award
Messages
22,714
Reaction score
7,805
Very strong earthquake in the Aleutian Island chain
https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us7000qd1y/executive

M 7.3 - 2025 Sand Point, Alaska Earthquake​

  • 2025-07-16 20:37:39 (UTC)
  • 54.549°N 160.472°W
  • 20.1 km depth

What's interesting about this particular earthquake is the measurements of seismic waves traveling through the continental US.
https://ds.iris.edu/spud/gmv/23319759

I've not seen that before, but presumably similar measurements are made for other earthquakes.

https://www.earthscope.org/geophysical-event/m-7-3-sand-point-alaska-us7000qd1y/
 
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
It looks like it passed through S. Ontario around 4:37PM local time Monday.

Am I able to deduce what effects, if any, we ought to have experienced here?
 
DaveC426913 said:
Am I able to deduce what effects, if any, we ought to have experienced here?
It would probably be unnoticeable among all the other 'noise' from normal, everyday activities, e.g., transportation.
 
DaveC426913 said:
Am I able to deduce what effects, if any, we ought to have experienced here?

completely unnoticeable by a person, regardless of background noise levels, only recordable on sensitive seismic recorders.
It was just too far from the "lower48" to be felt by a person

Dave
 
this was my recording of it, on my seismo, here in Sydney, Australia.

1753321651804.gif