M.Eng. or MS in Civil/Env./Electrical Engineering with BA in Physics?

In summary, the individual is a graduated senior with a 2.7 cumulative GPA and a major in Philosophy. They are interested in pursuing a graduate degree in engineering but are unsure of their chances with their current major and GPA. They have a GPA of 2.25 in their physics courses and plan on taking 12 more hours in the Fall to improve their major GPA. They also plan on taking the GRE General Test in the Fall.
defecritus
Hey,

I'm a graduated senior that's pursuing another degree until the end of 2010. I have a 2.7 cumulative GPA with 154 credit hours (I also majored in Philosophy). I want to go to graduate school for engineering and wondering what my odds of getting into schools are with my major and GPA.

What should I do if they aren't?

Thanks,

Defecritus

Physics news on Phys.org
What sort of GPA do you have for your physics courses? And how many letters of recommendation have you snagged so far?

Not very good so far...I have one more semester and I have around a 2.25. I can get three letters of recommendation for sure and I am taking 12 more hours in the Fall so I could bring my major GPA up significantly.

I'm also taking the GRE General Test in the Fall as well. What kind of score should I be shooting for?

1. What is the difference between a M.Eng. and MS in Civil/Env./Electrical Engineering with BA in Physics?

A M.Eng. (Master of Engineering) degree is a professional degree focused on practical applications of engineering, while a MS (Master of Science) degree is a research-based degree focused on theoretical and academic aspects of engineering. Therefore, a M.Eng. degree would be more suitable for individuals interested in pursuing a career in industry, while a MS degree would be more suitable for those interested in pursuing a career in academia or research.

2. Can I apply for a M.Eng. or MS in Civil/Env./Electrical Engineering with a BA in Physics?

Yes, many engineering graduate programs welcome students with a BA in Physics. However, it is important to check the specific requirements and prerequisites of the program you are interested in, as some programs may require additional coursework or experience in engineering.

3. How long does it take to complete a M.Eng. or MS in Civil/Env./Electrical Engineering with a BA in Physics?

The length of these programs can vary depending on the specific program and whether the student is attending full-time or part-time. On average, a M.Eng. program can take 1-2 years to complete, while a MS program can take 2-3 years to complete.

4. What career opportunities are available with a M.Eng. or MS in Civil/Env./Electrical Engineering with a BA in Physics?

Graduates with a M.Eng. or MS in these fields can pursue a variety of career paths, including roles in engineering design, research and development, project management, consulting, and more. They can also work in a range of industries, such as construction, renewable energy, transportation, and environmental engineering.

5. Can I specialize in a specific area of engineering with a M.Eng. or MS in Civil/Env./Electrical Engineering with a BA in Physics?

Yes, many programs offer specializations within these fields, such as structural engineering, environmental engineering, power systems engineering, and more. It is important to research and choose a program that aligns with your specific interests and career goals.