M.S in Physics after B.S in Mechanical/ Electrical Engineering?

In summary: Then go on to do a PhD in a physics related field. But, as long as you can do basic mathematical calculations and understand some basic concepts in physics, you can go ahead and pursue theoretical physics.
shuvobd
Hi,
I'm going to join the bachelor's program in Mechanical/ Electrical Engineering at the University of Duisburg- Essen. I had to choose this subject because there is no bachelor's degree in Physics in Europe (excluding UK, Ireland) where the language of instruction is English.

But I've a deep interest in studying Physics. Is it possible to join the Masters program in Physics after completing bachelor's in Mechanical/ Electrical Engineering?

If the answer is yes, then which subject has the most prospect: mech. or ee?

Physics news on Phys.org
shuvobd said:
But I've a deep interest in studying Physics. Is it possible to join the Masters program in Physics after completing bachelor's in Mechanical/ Electrical Engineering?

Yes. I do not know about the Masters program as such, or the European system in particular. But at least in the US, if you apply to graduate school in Physics, you will generally be looked at as a PhD candidate. A terminal Masters isn't something that schools usually prefer, as they would like students to contribute to their research in the long term.

In other words, you should be asking the question whether you can get into a graduate program in Physics after majoring in engineering. The answer is yes.

Both have equal prospects, and both will expose you to several skills useful as a physicist.

PS -- It will be helpful to gain formal exposure to undergraduate physics such as classical mechanics, electromagnetic theory, quantum mechanics, and thermodynamics/statistical mechanics.

I don't believe there would be any problem with that.

shuvobd said:
Hi,

it depends on which area of physics do you want to specialize in. Normally, mechanical engineers have a closer relation with fluid mechanics and thermodynamics, both are important in physics, while electrical engineers are more related to electromagnetism.

hope that helps

HossamCFD said:
it depends on which area of physics do you want to specialize in. Normally, mechanical engineers have a closer relation with fluid mechanics and thermodynamics, both are important in physics, while electrical engineers are more related to electromagnetism.

That is correct for mechanical engineers (e.g. dynamical systems, chaos, turbulence, MHD, geophysics could be good examples).

Electrical engineers do a lot more than electromagnetism though! I'm one myself (so couldn't help writing :wink:). We also work on condensed matter physics -- or at least a subsection of it involving devices, and transport in them. More recently, developments in nanoelectronics, spintronics and organic electronics have bridged the gap between physics and EE to some extent. EEs (and MEs) also get into radio-astronomy and sometimes into cosmology and astrophysics.

Generally, your engineering skills are more helpful in experimental research, be it ME or EE. EEs can have an advantage in instrumentation, circuit design, signal processing and measurement over a typical undergrad physics major (but only because conventional EE lab courses tend to cover these, and physics labs usually do not; there could be exceptions). These are skills useful to all of modern experimental physics.

Unfortunately I can only tell you more about EE. Hossam can hopefully fill in the gaps and give you a perspective from the ME standpoint.

Bottom line: get into an undergrad engineering program, feel your way and if you don't like your major, switch to the other engineering major. You can't go wrong either way. Once you get into a Physics graduate program, its not as if your skill set is limited to what you are expected to know from your specific engineering discipline.

I know of a Italian mechanical engineer that switched to physics after its bachelor and know...is a leading string and particle physics at Stanford. My only advise try to understand what are the missing requirements in mathematics and physics and do your best to catch that material up.

maverick280857 said:
That is correct for mechanical engineers (e.g. dynamical systems, chaos, turbulence, MHD, geophysics could be good examples).

Electrical engineers do a lot more than electromagnetism though! I'm one myself (so couldn't help writing :wink:).

You caught me there. I think I couldn't hide my personal bias on that one :shy:

But, is it possible to go for theoretical physics after completing bachelor's in ME or EE?

To show that you can be a good theoretical physicist you need to demonstrate that you can do research and that you are good at abstract thinking. Also, you'll need more math than the typical ME or EE requires. So, take extra math classes and try to get involved in research projects of any kind.

shuvobd said:
But, is it possible to go for theoretical physics after completing bachelor's in ME or EE?

Yes it is possible, but not an ideal path. The ideal path is major in Physics, or maybe even math.

maverick280857 said:
Generally, your engineering skills are more helpful in experimental research, be it ME or EE. EEs can have an advantage in instrumentation, circuit design, signal processing and measurement over a typical undergrad physics major (but only because conventional EE lab courses tend to cover these, and physics labs usually do not; there could be exceptions). These are skills useful to all of modern experimental physics.

Unfortunately I can only tell you more about EE. Hossam can hopefully fill in the gaps and give you a perspective from the ME standpoint.

Hey Maverick, I read a couple of your posts and had some questions concerning this topic. Did you take any extra Physics classes on top of your EE major? I also read you got into a Physics PhD with your EE degree.

I'm torn between EE and Physics. I'm probably going to stick with a Physics major but take a bunch of EE classes. Do you recommend any specific EE classes that would help a lot in a Experimental Physics PhD program? Thanks for your time.

DrummingAtom said:
Did you take any extra Physics classes on top of your EE major?

Yes, I took a few classes as electives...quantum mechanics, special and general relativity, QFT and particle physics. But what you will really 'need' are classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics and electromagnetic theory. The undergrad coursework is more important than anything else.

Do you recommend any specific EE classes that would help a lot in a Experimental Physics PhD program?

Well, circuits, instrumentation, measurement, control systems will be useful. But so will a first course on signal and system theory, that will teach you Fourier Transforms, and one on probability and statistics.

I know it has been over a year now. But I was just wondering , did you ever go into physics after your bachelor?
I'm kind of in the same situation, being an EE, considering taking a quantum mechanics course, to maybe do physics after..Btw I've had electromagnetic theory,classical mechanics and a bit of thermodynamics. I also had signal processing, control systems, instrumentation and circuit theory.

1. What is an M.S in Physics after completing a B.S in Mechanical/Electrical Engineering?

An M.S in Physics after completing a B.S in Mechanical/Electrical Engineering is a graduate level degree that focuses on advanced topics in physics. It builds upon the foundational knowledge gained in the undergraduate engineering program and delves deeper into concepts such as quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics.

2. What are the benefits of pursuing an M.S in Physics after a B.S in Mechanical/Electrical Engineering?

There are several benefits to pursuing an M.S in Physics after completing a B.S in Mechanical/Electrical Engineering. It can enhance your understanding of fundamental principles of physics, make you more competitive in the job market, and open up opportunities for research and development in various industries.

3. Can I pursue an M.S in Physics after a B.S in Mechanical/Electrical Engineering if I have no prior background in physics?

Yes, you can pursue an M.S in Physics after a B.S in Mechanical/Electrical Engineering even if you have no prior background in physics. However, you may need to take some prerequisite courses to catch up on the necessary foundational knowledge before beginning the graduate program.

4. What career options are available with an M.S in Physics after a B.S in Mechanical/Electrical Engineering?

With an M.S in Physics after a B.S in Mechanical/Electrical Engineering, you can pursue a variety of career options such as research and development in industries like aerospace, energy, and telecommunications. You can also work in government agencies, academic institutions, or pursue further studies at the doctoral level.

5. How long does it take to complete an M.S in Physics after a B.S in Mechanical/Electrical Engineering?

The duration of an M.S in Physics program after completing a B.S in Mechanical/Electrical Engineering can vary depending on the university and program. Generally, it takes 2-3 years to complete the degree, but some programs may offer an accelerated track for students with relevant undergraduate coursework, which can be completed in 1-2 years.