1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

M-Theory is that same as Superstring Field Theory?

1. Jan 23, 2009 #1
    Does anyone know if M-Theory is that same as Superstring Field Theory?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2009 #2
    Re: M-Theory

Haha does anyone knooooow?

4. Jan 26, 2009 #3

As far as I know neither of these theories is completely understood. It is therefore unlikely that anyone knows if they are or are not "the same."

5. Jan 26, 2009 #4

You might find the responses in this very old thread helpful. Someone asked basically the same question you did. I think the conclusion we came to was something like:

- "Strin[g] field theory is a second quantized formulation of string theory... this is a very technical point to explain. In a nutshell, string field theory is a more general form[al]ism to do calculations in string theory. It's more of a technique than a new theory."

- M-Theory is a variant of string theory with new structures, like an 11th spacetime dimension and the introduction of n-dimensional "branes" in addition to vanilla strings. Pre-M-Theory string theories can be found "inside of" M-Theory (that is, they are dual to special cases of M Theory).

- The two do not have anything to do with each other.

As far as I know String Field Theory techniques not widely used, but M-Theory has been the basis of virtually all string theory research for at least the last decade.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?