Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

M-Theory is that same as Superstring Field Theory?

1. Jan 23, 2009 #1
    Does anyone know if M-Theory is that same as Superstring Field Theory?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2009 #2
    Re: M-Theory

Haha does anyone knooooow?

4. Jan 26, 2009 #3

As far as I know neither of these theories is completely understood. It is therefore unlikely that anyone knows if they are or are not "the same."

5. Jan 26, 2009 #4

You might find the responses in this very old thread helpful. Someone asked basically the same question you did. I think the conclusion we came to was something like:

- "Strin[g] field theory is a second quantized formulation of string theory... this is a very technical point to explain. In a nutshell, string field theory is a more general form[al]ism to do calculations in string theory. It's more of a technique than a new theory."

- M-Theory is a variant of string theory with new structures, like an 11th spacetime dimension and the introduction of n-dimensional "branes" in addition to vanilla strings. Pre-M-Theory string theories can be found "inside of" M-Theory (that is, they are dual to special cases of M Theory).

- The two do not have anything to do with each other.

As far as I know String Field Theory techniques not widely used, but M-Theory has been the basis of virtually all string theory research for at least the last decade.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?