M Theory & Quantum Mechanics vs. SETI

In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of quantum mechanics and M Theory, and the possibility of parallel universes. The question is raised about whether M Theory could explain the phenomenon of particles popping in and out of existence. The point is made that if parallel universes exist, it is likely that there are advanced intelligent life forms trying to communicate with us through particles. However, it is also pointed out that if this were true, we would be overwhelmed with particles from infinite civilizations.
J Crombie
Watched an episode of Brian Greenes NOVA "The Fabric of the Universe" for the 300th time and an episode of "The Universe" about M Theory and Parallel Universes. A thought/question popped into my head based on my uneducated understanding of these concepts (I was an Econ Major).

* Quantum mechanics tells us that subatomic particles constantly pop in and out of our existence and exist in multiple places at the same time.

Question - Do I understand correctly that M Theory hypothesizes that extra dimensions explain this? That the particles are simply traveling between these dimensions in the same way it tries to explain the weakness of gravity?

My Point - If an infinite number of parallel universes actually exist then the existence of enormously advanced intelligent life is certain. Some of them would have to be sending us communications (every scenario must exist somewhere in infinity). The most obvious place to look for a message is in the stuff we share with them, particles... Right? So if that version of M Theory is accurate (I realize that's a big if) then there must be messages buried somewhere in subatomic particles and we simply have not advanced enough to discover them yet. On the flip side... if there are no messages then that form of M Theory is impossible.

Either way I feel like we have a better chance of discovery there (regardless of how improbable infinite connected universes may be) vs. using telescopes hoping to stumble on another inteligent life form that happens to use light waves to communicate the same way we do and is located within 50 thousand light years of Earth where they could possibly see (using light waves) that our planet was developing intelligent life.

I am sure that almost anyone who frequents this site is capable of shooting this idea down with a pellet gun but I would be interested in knowing.

Physics news on Phys.org
* Quantum mechanics tells us that subatomic particles constantly pop in and out of our existence and exist in multiple places at the same time.

Question - Do I understand correctly that M Theory hypothesizes that extra dimensions explain this? That the particles are simply traveling between these dimensions in the same way it tries to explain the weakness of gravity?

No, those 'virtual particle vacuum fluctuations' are caused by the uncertainty principal.

My Point - If an infinite number of parallel universes actually exist then the existence of enormously advanced intelligent life is certain. Some of them would have to be sending us communications (every scenario must exist somewhere in infinity). The most obvious place to look for a message is in the stuff we share with them, particles... Right?

If there were infinite parallel universes and they all could send particles to our universe then we would be flooded by infinite amounts of particles from infinite intelligent civilizations!

Place would be a mess heh.

1. What is M Theory?

M Theory is a theoretical framework in physics that attempts to unify all the different branches of string theory. It suggests that the fundamental building blocks of the universe are not particles, but rather one-dimensional strings that vibrate at different frequencies. These strings are thought to create different particles and forces depending on their vibration patterns.

2. What is Quantum Mechanics?

Quantum Mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the behavior of particles at a subatomic level. It explains how particles can exist in multiple states at the same time and how their properties can only be determined through probability. It has been widely accepted as the most accurate and successful theory in physics, but it has also raised many philosophical questions about the nature of reality.

3. How do M Theory and Quantum Mechanics relate?

M Theory and Quantum Mechanics are both theories that attempt to explain the fundamental nature of the universe, but they approach it from different perspectives. M Theory focuses on the unification of all the different branches of string theory, while Quantum Mechanics focuses on the behavior of particles at a subatomic level. Some scientists believe that M Theory may eventually be able to incorporate the principles of Quantum Mechanics into its framework.

4. What is SETI?

SETI stands for Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence and is a scientific organization that searches for signs of intelligent life beyond Earth. They use various methods, such as radio telescopes, to scan the universe for any signals that may indicate the existence of other civilizations.

5. How do M Theory and Quantum Mechanics relate to the search for extraterrestrial life?

Both M Theory and Quantum Mechanics have implications for the search for extraterrestrial life. M Theory suggests the possibility of multiple universes, which could potentially increase the chances of finding other forms of intelligent life. Quantum Mechanics also allows for the possibility of parallel universes, which could mean that intelligent life exists in other dimensions. Additionally, these theories may help scientists develop new technologies and methods for detecting and communicating with potential extraterrestrial civilizations.