1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maclaurin formula: finding a delta for a given error

1. Aug 13, 2010 #1
    Approximate the function [tex]f(x)=\sin(x)[/tex] using the corresponding Maclaurin polynomial: [tex]P_5(x)[/tex], in a bound [tex]\epsilon(0,\delta)[/tex]. Determine a value of [tex]\delta>0[/tex], so that the rest [tex]R_5(x)[/tex] verifies [tex]|R_5(x)|<0.0005[/tex] for all [tex]x\in{\epsilon(0,\delta)}[/tex]

Well, the first thing that puzzles me a bit is that the order for [tex]P_5[/tex] and [tex]R_5[/tex] is the same. I assume that it is a mistake, and that the polynomial must be [tex]P_4[/tex], or the rest [tex]R_6[/tex]. I have chosen to leave the degree of the polynomial as it was and turn up one grade to the rest.

So I have to find a delta for which any value within the environment [tex](0,\delta)[/tex] is less than the error 0.0005

So I did:

[tex]R_6(x)=|\displaystyle\frac{\sin(\alpha)x^6}{6!}|<0.0005[/tex] [tex]0<\alpha<x[/tex]

So I must find x:

[tex]R_6(x)=|\sin(\alpha)x^6|<0.36[/tex] [tex]0<\alpha<x[/tex]

I must find x that satisfies the equation: [tex]\sin(x)x^6<0.36[/tex]

I don't know how to go ahead.

Bye there.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2010 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I think you're just getting confused by the notation. The usual notation is

[tex]R_n(x) = f(x)-P_n(x)[/tex]

The remainder term turns out to depend on xn+1 and f(n+1)(x).
    Hint: Use the fact that x ≥ sin x when x ≥ 0.

4. Aug 13, 2010 #3
    I don't get it. I know that 1≥sin(x) how should I use the fact you mentioned? I wouldn't noted it if you weren't.

Thanks vela.

5. Aug 13, 2010 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The fact that x ≥ sin x for x ≥ 0 is one of those things you pick up along the way, typically when you do a problem like this one.

You're trying to solve for x, right? And the difficulty is that you can't solve an equation of the form xn sin x = c. So you use the usual approach. Instead of solving the equation exactly, you look for an upper bound that you can solve that gives you a good estimate. In this case, you know that x6 sin x ≤ x7.

6. Aug 13, 2010 #5
    Thanks man!

One doubt. I was thinking that as the sine is always less than one I could use x⁶ as an upper bound too. Right?

7. Aug 13, 2010 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

What does this say - x⁶ ?

8. Aug 13, 2010 #7

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Yes, you can. So what is the difference between the two choices? Why would you choose one over the other?

9. Aug 13, 2010 #8

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

sin(x) = 1 for x = pi/2 + 2k*pi, k an integer.

What is x⁶? I can't read the exponent.

10. Aug 13, 2010 #9

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Telemachus's idea is to replace sin x by 1, so he'd end up with the inequality x^6 ≤ 0.36.

It's weird. His exponent is in a smaller font than mine.

11. Aug 13, 2010 #10
    Sorry, I was studying :P

x⁶ is [tex]x^6[/tex]

I think I would choose [tex]x^6[/tex] cause its a better approximation than [tex]x^7[/tex], so I got [tex]|x<\sqrt[6]{\frac{9}{25}}[/tex]

Edit: Ok, I've seen that I was wrong, and that [tex]x^7[/tex] is a better approximation. But now I have more doubts, damn. For this: x ≥ sin x, or even using x^6 ≥ x^6 sin x, couldn't it happen that using that approximation I would get outside the boundary I was looking for? In this case I've noted that it works, but in general I would like to know what could happens. I mean, while using the substitution it could happens that the new value could be bigger than the error I was looking for, right? cause, I know that [tex]x^7\geq{x^6 sin x}[/tex] and so [tex]x^8\geq{x^6 sin x}[/tex] it is, and even for any n>6 [tex]x^n\geq{x^6}[/tex] right?

Mmm ok, I am wrong for values of x, such that [tex]x\leq{1}[/tex]. I've tried with x^8 and it seems to work too, and its a better approximation for the boundary I am looking for.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=x^6+sin(x)+=+9/25

From here I get x ~~ 0.8807530939284029...

And http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=(9/25)^(1/8)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  12. Aug 13, 2010 #11

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Nope. As long as your steps are reversible, which they usually are when you're doing these algebraic manipulations, you can start with the condition you found for x and deduce that the error will be within the given bound.

13. Aug 13, 2010 #12
    Thanks vela, this is really helpful and very useful.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook