Mag 6.4, Triple Point -Juan de Fuca (Gorda), N America, Pacific Plates

In summary, a 6.4 magnitude earthquake occurred 12km WSW of Ferndale, CA on December 20, 2022 at 10:34:25 (UTC). The earthquake had a depth of 16.1 km and was followed by numerous aftershocks. Power outages were reported in Humboldt county, affecting more than 70,000 residents. A year ago, on the same date, a magnitude 6.2 earthquake hit the same area causing damage and two fatalities. The recent earthquake also caused some injuries and at least one structure fire. Two fatalities were confirmed, both were older individuals who experienced medical emergencies during or after the earthquake. Similar movement of the Juan de Fuca plate caused a
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award

M 6.4 - 12km WSW of Ferndale, CA​

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/nc73821036/executive
  • 2022-12-20 10:34:25 (UTC)
  • 40.523°N 124.393°W
  • 16.1 km depth
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_de_Fuca_Plate#/media/File:Juan_de_fuca_plate.png

Numerous aftershocks (Mag 2-4) occurring inland. Power outages reported in Humboldt county.

M 4.6 - 6km WNW of Rio Dell, CA​

• 2022-12-20 10:39:02 (UTC)
  • 40.515°N 124.174°W
  • 24.2 km depth

According to PowerOutage.us, more than 70,000 people across Humboldt County, a majority of residents, were without power early Tuesday. Pacific Gas & Electric was working to restore power, Karges said, adding that "there is no time available" for when services might come back online.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/magnitude-6-4-earthquake-strikes-111116652.html
State Route 11 at Fernbridge, the county’s oldest bridge, was closed early Tuesday because the bridge was cracked in four places, according to the California Highway Patrol incident log. Pictures on Twitter showed the concrete was fractured in several places. Crews were dispatched for an integrity check, Carsey said.

Exactly a year ago, the same area was hit by a magnitude 6.2 quake that shattered windows and caused some damage.

Attachments

• Ferndale_Earthquakes2022-12-20_05-09-09.png
    Ferndale_Earthquakes2022-12-20_05-09-09.png
    98.6 KB · Views: 70
  • Ferndale_Earthquakes2022-12-20_05-27-47.png
    Ferndale_Earthquakes2022-12-20_05-27-47.png
    126.1 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Likes davenn
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Yes, a decent quake, some building damage and I understand 2 deaths reported, hopefully no more

Exactly a year ago, the same area was hit by a magnitude 6.2 quake that shattered windows and caused some damage.

Yes, indeed, just a bit SE and further inland

@Astronuc That newspaper link has incorrect info and shows the event
well offshore. The 6.2 was on shore just a bit southeast of todays event

M 6.2 - 7km N of Petrolia, CA​

• 2021-12-20 20:10:31 (UTC)
  • 40.390°N 124.298°W
  • 27.0 km depth
https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/nc73666231/executive

211220 M6.2 Petrolia area nthrn Cal.jpg
cheers
Dave

Last edited:
There was an M6.8 earthquake near Olympia, WA on Feb. 28, 2001, caused most likely by movement of the same plate, the Juan de Fuca plate. I remember that quake distinctly, as I was driving south on I-405 when I felt the whole highway moving under me for about 10 seconds. I thought there was something wrong with my car, but found out later that it was an earthquake.

1. What does "Mag 6.4" mean?

"Mag 6.4" refers to the magnitude of the earthquake, which is a measure of the energy released at the earthquake's source. It is determined using the Richter scale, with higher numbers indicating a stronger earthquake.

2. Where is the Triple Point-Juan de Fuca (Gorda) located?

The Triple Point-Juan de Fuca (Gorda) is located off the coast of North America in the Pacific Ocean. It is a tectonic plate boundary where the Juan de Fuca, Gorda, and North American plates meet.

3. What caused this earthquake?

This earthquake was caused by the movement and interaction of the tectonic plates at the Triple Point-Juan de Fuca (Gorda). As the plates shift and collide, they create stress and pressure that can result in earthquakes.

4. Was this earthquake dangerous?

The earthquake had a magnitude of 6.4, which is considered a strong earthquake. However, the location of the epicenter was in a relatively remote area and there were no reports of major damage or injuries. It is always important to be prepared for earthquakes, regardless of their magnitude.

5. Can we predict when the next earthquake will occur at the Triple Point-Juan de Fuca (Gorda)?

Unfortunately, we cannot predict when or where earthquakes will occur. While scientists continue to study and monitor plate movements, there is currently no reliable method for predicting earthquakes. It is important to have emergency plans and supplies in place to prepare for potential earthquakes.