1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic field at a point between two current carrying wires

1. Feb 20, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If two long parallel wires are separated by a distance of 1.00 m and there is a current of 5.00 A up in the wire on the left and a current of 10.0 A up in the wire on the right, find the:

a. magnetic field at a point 30.0 cm to the right of the left wire.

2. Relevant equations

https://www.physicsforums.com/latex_images/19/1920784-0.png [Broken]

3. The attempt at a solution

Hello, well I think all I have to do is to calculate the two magnetic fields at this point, and then since they are going in opposite directions at this point find the difference. Is that correct?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2009 #2
    I think I will also need to indicate the direction of the net magnetic field at this point, right?

4. Feb 20, 2009 #3

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Sounds like a plan.

As to direction yes I suppose they will want it given as out of the paper or into the paper.

5. Feb 20, 2009 #4
    ok great just wanted to be certain. BTW I stole the URL for the equation of the magnetic field due to a current carrying wire from another post. Is there a page on physics forums I can goto to copy and paste the URL's for equations in the future? it makes everything much tidier.

6. Feb 20, 2009 #5
    nvm i found it

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook