Magnetic field at a point due to a line of charge

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the magnetic field at a field point located a distance a away from a wire carrying current I in the positive x direction. Two methods, Biot-Savart law and Ampere's law, are mentioned and the student notes that their solution matches the professor's but differs from a video tutorial. After discussing the possibility of evaluating the answer incorrectly, a solution is found using limits and it is determined that the magnetic field is 1.
vysero

Homework Statement

A wire carrying a current I in the positive x direction is located along the x axis. The wire is of finite length and is located between x = -L and x = L. Find the magnetic field at a field point located a distance a away from the wire.

Homework Equations

Biot-Savart law
Ampere's law

The Attempt at a Solution

Problem.png

[/B]
I solved the problem above and its the same as the professors so its correct. However, I was following along with a video I found on lassevrien's channel on YouTube:

and he attained a different answer for what I believe is the same problem. If you don't want to watch the video I have summarized it on the picture (lower right); he is using Ampere's law.

So I figure if I evaluated my answer from -∞ too ∞ I would get what he got but I am getting an undefined answer. Are these two methods of doing the same problem? Am I just evaluating wrong?

Attachments

• Problem.png
    Problem.png
    49.8 KB · Views: 339
Physics news on Phys.org
vysero said:
and its the same as the professors so its correct
That is in general a very dangerous assumption: to err is human and professors are human
vysero said:
I am getting an undefined answer
How so ?

BvU said:
How so ?

I believe B would be undefined here:

$$B =\frac{μI}{4πa} (\frac {∞} {\sqrt{a^2 +∞^2}}\frac {∞} {\sqrt{a^2 +∞^2}}),$$

Divide numerator and denominator by ##L## before letting ##L## go off to ##\infty##

Likes vysero
BvU said:
Divide numerator and denominator by ##L## before letting ##L## go off to ##\infty##

I am not sure if this is what you meant but here goes:

$$\lim_{x \rightarrow +\infty} {\frac {x} {\sqrt{a^2 +x^2}}}$$
$$\lim_{x \rightarrow +\infty} {\frac {(\frac{1}{x})x} {\sqrt{\frac{1}{x^2}}\sqrt{a^2 +x^2}}}$$
$$\lim_{x \rightarrow +\infty} {\frac {1} {\sqrt{(\frac{1}{x^2})(a^2 +x^2)}}}$$
$$\lim_{x \rightarrow +\infty} {\frac {1} {\sqrt{\frac{a^2}{x^2}}+1}}=1$$

Brilliant ! Now add 1 and 1 :wink: .

Well, almost brilliant: not $$ \lim_{x \rightarrow +\infty} {\frac {1} {\sqrt{\frac{a^2}{x^2}}+1}}=1$$ but $$
\lim_{x \rightarrow +\infty} {\frac {1} {\sqrt{{\frac{a^2}{x^2}}+1}}}=1$$

Got it, thanks man.

You are welcome.

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region of space around a magnet or a moving electric charge where magnetic forces can be observed. It is a vector field, which means it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is a magnetic field created by a line of charge?

A magnetic field is created by the movement of charged particles. In the case of a line of charge, the electric current flowing through the wire creates a magnetic field around it.

3. What is the equation for calculating the magnetic field at a point due to a line of charge?

The equation for calculating the magnetic field at a point due to a line of charge is B = μ0I/2πr, where B is the magnetic field in Tesla, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current in the wire, and r is the distance from the wire to the point.

4. How does the distance from the line of charge affect the strength of the magnetic field?

The strength of the magnetic field decreases as the distance from the line of charge increases. This is because the magnetic field follows an inverse-square law, meaning that it decreases with the square of the distance.

5. Can the direction of the magnetic field be changed by the direction of the line of charge?

Yes, the direction of the magnetic field is determined by the direction of the current in the wire. If the current changes direction, the magnetic field will also change direction accordingly.