1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Field at center of circle on rectangular circuit

1. Feb 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A circuit consists of 7 sections of wire. The figure looks like a rectangle of length 9cm and width 5cm with a circle of diameter 3 cm cutting right through the middle of one of the 9cm sides so that the two sides of the circle are in parallel. Each of the sections of wire also has a resistance. I am supposed to find the magnetic field at the center of the circle using symmetry.

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I figured out the current based on the givens, but how do I find the magnetic field at the center of the circle using this? Which current would I use in the equation for magnetic field of a circular loop (Bcircular loop- see above), would I use the current of the rectangle part of the circuit, or one of the currents in the circle? How do I factor in the effect of the rectangle when I calculate the magnetic field at the center of the circle? Thanks for any help, I just need guidance and hopefully I'll be able to figure it out from there.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2012 #2
    It be better if you substitute your so lengthy question with a small figure and a reasonable question. Point out the exact matter of doubt instead of writing this and that. It makes more sense then.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook