Magnetic field created by a solenoid

In summary, in a long, straight and hollow plastic tube with ionized liquid moving at 100 m/s and a net charge per unit volume of 106 electrons/m3, the magnetic field on the axis of the tube at a distance d >> L is 0 T. It can also be considered as a dipole with the formula B=\dfrac{\mu_0}{2\pi d^3}N\pi r^2, although this may be a typo as it does not include the ion or wire current. Alternatively, the coil can be considered as a single-turn loop with a current of nLI, making it easier to use Biot-Savart. The ionic current can also be taken into account by
Pepealej
Homework Statement

Inside a very long, straight and hollow plastic tube (R << L) we have ionized liquid moving at a velocity v = 100 m/s. The net charge per unit volume is n = 106 electrons/m3. The radius of the tube is R = 10cm. Around the tube we have a solenoid, with n = 100 loops/m, through which circulates a current I = 2 A.

Estimate the magnetic field on the axis of the tube at a distance d >> L.

Book's answer

0 T or, considering the system as a dipole, [tex]B=\dfrac{\mu_0}{2\pi d^3}N\pi r^2[/tex]

My question

I understand how the magnetic field is 0 T but, how can I consider the system as a dipole to obtain the other answer?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Pepealej said:
Book's answer

0 T or, considering the system as a dipole, [tex]B=\dfrac{\mu_0}{2\pi d^3}N\pi r^2[/tex]

My question

I understand how the magnetic field is 0 T but, how can I consider the system as a dipole to obtain the other answer?

Thanks in advance!

Well, we can all see B = 0. But their other answer (dipole) makes no sense since neither the ion nor the wire current I is included in their formula. Probably a typo, but ...

I would say:
Consider all the turns of the coil bunched together to form a single-turn loop with current = nLI. That makes using Biot-Savart easy along the axis & is justifiable by d >> L.

As for the ionic current, about all I could see is trying to compute the magnetic vector potential integral A, then B = del x A.

What is a solenoid?

A solenoid is a coil of wire that is used to create a magnetic field when an electric current flows through it.

How is a magnetic field created by a solenoid?

A magnetic field is created by a solenoid when an electric current flows through the wire. The direction of the magnetic field is determined by the direction of the current flow.

What factors affect the strength of a magnetic field created by a solenoid?

The strength of a magnetic field created by a solenoid is affected by the number of turns in the coil, the amount of current flowing through the coil, and the material of the core inside the coil.

What is the purpose of a solenoid?

Solenoids are used in a variety of applications, such as in electromagnets, electric motors, and relays, to create controlled magnetic fields for various purposes.

Can the direction of the magnetic field created by a solenoid be changed?

Yes, the direction of the magnetic field can be changed by reversing the direction of the current flow through the coil. This can be accomplished by switching the polarity of the power source or by using a device called a switch.