1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic field created by a solenoid

1. May 2, 2013 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Inside a very long, straight and hollow plastic tube (R << L) we have ionized liquid moving at a velocity v = 100 m/s. The net charge per unit volume is n = 106 electrons/m3. The radius of the tube is R = 10cm. Around the tube we have a solenoid, with n = 100 loops/m, through which circulates a current I = 2 A.

Estimate the magnetic field on the axis of the tube at a distance d >> L.

Book's answer

0 T or, considering the system as a dipole, [tex]B=\dfrac{\mu_0}{2\pi d^3}N\pi r^2[/tex]

My question

I understand how the magnetic field is 0 T but, how can I consider the system as a dipole to obtain the other answer?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2013 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, we can all see B = 0. But their other answer (dipole) makes no sense since neither the ion nor the wire current I is included in their formula. Probably a typo, but ...

I would say:
    Consider all the turns of the coil bunched together to form a single-turn loop with current = nLI. That makes using Biot-Savart easy along the axis & is justifiable by d >> L.

As for the ionic current, about all I could see is trying to compute the magnetic vector potential integral A, then B = del x A.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted