Magnetic field due to a current

In summary, the engineer attempted to derive the formula for the magnetic field due to a current carried by an infinite wire, but ran into difficulty with Ampere's and Biot-Savart's laws. Furthermore, he thinks that the magnitude of the magnetic field depends on the radial distance from the wire, and always acts orthogonal to that radial vector.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I set up myself to derive the formula of the magnetic field due to a current I carried by an infinite wire. At a point P situated at a distance d from the wire.

Homework Equations

Ampere's law and Biot-Savart's law.

The Attempt at a Solution

With Ampere's law, it's simple: [tex]\oint \vec B d\vec l = \mu _0 I[/tex], thus [tex]B=\frac{\mu _0 I}{2 \pi d}[/tex] and its direction is easy to figure out thanks to the right hand rule.
I'm having problems with Biot and Savart's law.
[tex]d\vec B =\frac{\mu _0}{4\pi} I d\vec l \times \frac{\vec r}{r^3}\Rightarrow \vec B=\frac{\mu _0}{4 \pi} \oint I d\vec l \times \frac{\vec r}{r^3}[/tex], thus [tex]B=\frac{\mu _0 I}{4 \pi d}[/tex]. I don't see how I can get a factor 2 in this result, to make it coincide with the anterior result.

Aside question: If I understand well, an infinitesimal length dl of the wire contributes to the magnetic field only in an orthogonal plane to it, right? So that it doesn't contribute to points out of this plane, right?

Thanks for all.

Physics news on Phys.org
How can you do a closed integral if the wire is from - infinity to + infinity. I think that there could be a factor of two also in that integral. because your wire is infinitely long, any point d could be said to be in the middle of the wire. So you would want to take the integral from -infinity to +infinity, which could be equal to twice the integral from 0 to infinity.

And I'm pretty sure the magnitude depends on the radial distance from the wire, and always acts orthogonal to that radial vector

dacruick said:
How can you do a closed integral if the wire is from - infinity to + infinity. I think that there could be a factor of two also in that integral. because your wire is infinitely long, any point d could be said to be in the middle of the wire. So you would want to take the integral from -infinity to +infinity, which could be equal to twice the integral from 0 to infinity.
Because as I implied, I believe that the only part of the wire that contributes to the magnetic field at point P is the orthogonal projection of P into the wire. In other words, almost all the wire doesn't create the magnetic field at point P.
I wanted to know if I'm right on this.

And I'm pretty sure the magnitude depends on the radial distance from the wire, and always acts orthogonal to that radial vector
I'm also sure of that! Look at my formula. The d is the distance from the wire to the point P.

if only one part of the wire contributes you shouldn't be doing an integral at all right?

dacruick said:
if only one part of the wire contributes you shouldn't be doing an integral at all right?

Hmm ok... I'm (very) confused.

What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a force field that is created by the movement of electrically charged particles. It is characterized by the direction and strength of the force it exerts on other charged particles.

How is a magnetic field created by a current?

When an electric current flows through a wire, it creates a circular magnetic field around the wire. The strength of the magnetic field is directly proportional to the current and inversely proportional to the distance from the wire.

What is the direction of the magnetic field around a current-carrying wire?

The direction of the magnetic field around a current-carrying wire is determined by the right-hand rule. If you point your thumb in the direction of the current, then the direction of your fingers curling around the wire will indicate the direction of the magnetic field.

How can the strength of the magnetic field be increased?

The strength of the magnetic field can be increased by increasing the current in the wire or by decreasing the distance from the wire. Additionally, using a coil or solenoid can concentrate the magnetic field, making it stronger.

What are the practical applications of magnetic fields created by currents?

Magnetic fields created by currents have numerous practical applications, such as in electric motors, generators, and transformers. They are also used in medical imaging devices like MRI machines and in speakers and headphones to produce sound.