Magnetic field due to two loops

In summary, the conversation discusses the magnetic field due to two circular loops, with one being rotated about a diameter. The formula for the magnetic field at the center of a circular loop is used to calculate the value of B1, which is found to be 167.5 nT. However, there is confusion about the formula used, as it may be for a circular arc rather than a full circular loop. The direction of the magnetic field also changes when loop 2 is rotated.
Physicslearner500039
Homework Statement
In Fig. 29-45, two concentric circular loops of wire carrying current in the same direction lie in the same plane. Loop 1 has radius 1.50 cm and carries 4.00 mA. Loop 2 has radius 2.50 cm and carries 6.00 mA. Loop 2 is to be rotated about a diameter while the net magnetic field B set up by the two loops at their common center is measured. Through what angle must loop 2 be rotated so that the magnitude of that net field is 100 nT?
Relevant Equations
B = (μ * Φ * i)/(4*π*r) magnetic field due to circular loop.
Prob.JPG

My attempt is the magnetic field due to loop1 and loop2 should get added
The magnetic field due to loop1 is
B1 =(μ0 * Φ * i)/(4*π*r) = (4*π*(2*π)*0.004) /(4 *π*0.015) = 1670nT.
I assumed this value should be less than 100nT. What is the reason?
The other question is "Loop 2 is to be rotated about a diameter?" Even if i rotate by any angle Φ will always be 2π as long as it is complete circle. Am I correct? Please advise.

Physics news on Phys.org
The magnetic fields are vector quantities. When you rotate loop 2, what happens to the direction of B2?

Likes Physicslearner500039
Using the formula for the magnetic field at the center of a circular loop (see http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/curloo.html):
$$B = \frac{\mu_o I}{2 R}$$
I found ##B_1## to be 167.5 nT.

So, not sure what happened in your calculation. I haven't seen the form of equation you've used before (with the ##\Phi## term).

Likes Physicslearner500039 and TSny
gneill said:
I haven't seen the form of equation you've used before (with the ##\Phi## term).
I had to think about that, too. I believe the formula given in the first post is for finding B at the center of a circular arc that subtends an angle Φ. The full circular loop is a special case.

Likes Physicslearner500039 and gneill
TSny said:
I had to think about that, too. I believe the formula given in the first post is for finding B at the center of a circular arc that subtends an angle Φ. The full circular loop is a special case.
Ah! That makes sense! Thanks for doing my thinking for me :smile:

Likes Physicslearner500039 and TSny

What is a magnetic field due to two loops?

A magnetic field due to two loops is the combined magnetic field produced by two current-carrying loops in close proximity to each other. It is a vector quantity that describes the force experienced by a moving charged particle in the presence of the two loops.

How is the magnetic field due to two loops calculated?

The magnetic field due to two loops can be calculated using the Biot-Savart law, which states that the magnetic field at a point is directly proportional to the current and inversely proportional to the distance from the point to the current-carrying wire.

What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field due to two loops?

The strength of the magnetic field due to two loops depends on several factors, including the magnitude of the current in each loop, the distance between the two loops, and the angle between the two loops.

Is the magnetic field due to two loops always the same at every point?

No, the magnetic field due to two loops is not constant at all points. Its strength and direction can vary depending on the distance from the loops and the angle at which the field is measured.

Can the magnetic field due to two loops be canceled out?

Yes, the magnetic field due to two loops can be canceled out if the two loops have equal and opposite currents or if they are positioned in such a way that their magnetic fields cancel each other out.