1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Field Due to Two Parallel Wires

1. Apr 11, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A long, straight wire carries a current of 1.7 A in the +z direction and lies along the line x = –3.0 cm, y = 0. A second such wire carries a current of 1.7 A in the +z direction and lies along the line x = +3.0 cm, y = 0, as shown in Figure. Find the magnetic field at a point P on the y axis at y = 6.0 cm.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I understood why BL = BR
    In my textbook, the solution says that vector B is the vector sum of vector BL and vector BR.

I don't understand this:

It says vector B = -2BL cos (theta) i ( in the -x direction)

i is the unit vector here

I have no idea where does the -2BL cos (theta) come from!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2010 #2
    Reply people!!
  4. Apr 29, 2010 #3
    What is the magnetic field a distance d from a current carrying wire? Can you exploit the symmetry of the situation?
  5. Apr 29, 2010 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are there no relevant equations?

This is not an attempt at a solution. This is merely trying to read and understand the given solution. You will do better if you try to solve it by yourself, starting by drawing a figure showing the BL and BR vectors.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook