Magnetic Field Due to Two Parallel Wires

In summary: After understanding the solution, post your answer in the comments.In summary, the magnetic field at a point P on the y-axis at y = 6.0 cm is –0.18 A.
sonutulsiani

Homework Statement

A long, straight wire carries a current of 1.7 A in the +z direction and lies along the line x = –3.0 cm, y = 0. A second such wire carries a current of 1.7 A in the +z direction and lies along the line x = +3.0 cm, y = 0, as shown in Figure. Find the magnetic field at a point P on the y-axis at y = 6.0 cm.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I understood why BL = BR
In my textbook, the solution says that vector B is the vector sum of vector BL and vector BR.

I don't understand this:

It says vector B = -2BL cos (theta) i ( in the -x direction)

i is the unit vector here

I have no idea where does the -2BL cos (theta) come from!

Attachments

• 27_20_big.gif
    27_20_big.gif
    4.4 KB · Views: 543
Physics news on Phys.org
Reply people!

What is the magnetic field a distance d from a current carrying wire? Can you exploit the symmetry of the situation?

sonutulsiani said:

Homework Statement

A long, straight wire carries a current of 1.7 A in the +z direction and lies along the line x = –3.0 cm, y = 0. A second such wire carries a current of 1.7 A in the +z direction and lies along the line x = +3.0 cm, y = 0, as shown in Figure. Find the magnetic field at a point P on the y-axis at y = 6.0 cm.

Homework Equations

Are there no relevant equations?

The Attempt at a Solution

I understood why BL = BR
In my textbook, the solution says that vector B is the vector sum of vector BL and vector BR.

I don't understand this:

It says vector B = -2BL cos (theta) i ( in the -x direction)

i is the unit vector here

I have no idea where does the -2BL cos (theta) come from!
This is not an attempt at a solution. This is merely trying to read and understand the given solution. You will do better if you try to solve it by yourself, starting by drawing a figure showing the BL and BR vectors.

What is the magnetic field due to two parallel wires?

The magnetic field due to two parallel wires refers to the magnetic field that is created by two long, straight wires that are placed parallel to each other. This magnetic field is the result of the electric current flowing through the wires and is perpendicular to the wires.

How is the magnetic field strength calculated?

The magnetic field strength is calculated using the formula B = μ0I/2πr, where B is the magnetic field strength, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current flowing through the wire, and r is the distance from the wire.

What is the direction of the magnetic field?

The direction of the magnetic field due to two parallel wires is determined by the right-hand rule. If you point your thumb in the direction of the current in one wire, the direction of your fingers will indicate the direction of the magnetic field.

How does the distance between the wires affect the magnetic field?

The magnetic field strength decreases as the distance between the wires increases. This is because the magnetic field lines spread out as they move away from the wires, resulting in a weaker field.

Can the magnetic field due to two parallel wires be zero?

Yes, the magnetic field can be zero if the currents in the two wires are equal and flowing in opposite directions. This is known as a neutral point and is located at a distance equal to half the distance between the wires.