Mag force between two wires with opposite charges

In summary: You can also use the equations you provided for the individual fields and add them together as vectors to get the total field. Just keep in mind that the direction of the field for each wire will change as you move away from it.
fm621

Homework Statement

Two wires shown in figure p19.48 carry currents of 5.00A in opposite directions and are separated by 10cm. Find direction and magnitude of the net mag field.

(a) at a point midway between the wires. (b) at point P1 (c) at point P2

Homework Equations

B=B1+B2??
B= u0I / 2pir

The Attempt at a Solution

How would i approach a question like this? How does opposite charges affect the sign in the equation B1+B2?

Thanks!

Attachments

• photo-1.JPG
    photo-1.JPG
    20.5 KB · Views: 629
Physics news on Phys.org
The equation you cite is for the magnetic field due to a long straight wire

[tex]\vec{B} = \frac{\mu I}{2 \pi R}[/tex]

and as you state, the total magnetic field is the vector sum of the two individual fields.

The fact that the currents move in opposite directions will change the direction of the magnetic field lines for one wire vs. the other. You can use the right hand rule for wires to figure these directions out. For example, if you were looking directly down the length of a wire that was carrying current towards you, the magnetic field lines would be counterclockwise circles (point your thumb at your face and your fingers curl in the cc direction). If the wire carried current away from you, the field would be clockwise.

so for the first part (a):

B=B1-B2

B1= u5A / 2pi(.05)
B2= (u5A / 2pi(.05)

B= (u5A / 2pi(.05)) - (u5A / 2pi(.05))
the magnitude of the field in part a would be zero??

No, using the RHR you should find that between the wires the fields actually add together and their direction points into the page. At points P1 and P2 the fields are in opposite directions and therefore subtract.

This is why the power supply wires inside a computer are twisted together. Since the power and return wires carry current in opposite directions, twisting them together makes the magnetic fields almost completely cancel out.

maybe i need practice with the right hand rule lol

when i apply the rhr for the first wire, my thumb points north and fingers clockwise

when i apply the rhr for the second wire, my thumbs point south and the fingers counter clockwise.

how exactly is direction changing with distance? this is frustrating haha

You did the RHR correctly, but in between the wires the clockwise direction from the first wire gives you a field that points into the page on the right side of it (i.e. in between the wires) and the same is true for the second wire.

ok so let me understand,

for (a)

B=-B1-B2

for (b)

B=-B1+B2

for (c)

B=B1-B2

is this how it would be?

yes, that should give you the correct magnitudes.

1. What is the concept of "Mag force between two wires with opposite charges"?

The concept of "Mag force between two wires with opposite charges" refers to the magnetic force that is generated between two parallel wires carrying opposite electrical charges. This force is a result of the interaction between the magnetic fields produced by the flow of electric current in the wires.

2. How is the magnitude of the magnetic force between two wires with opposite charges determined?

The magnitude of the magnetic force between two wires with opposite charges is determined by the strength of the electric current flowing through the wires, the distance between the wires, and the permeability of the medium between the wires. The force can be calculated using the formula F = (μ0 * I1 * I2 * L) / (2π * d), where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I1 and I2 are the currents in the two wires, L is the length of the wires, and d is the distance between the wires.

3. How does the direction of the magnetic force between two wires with opposite charges depend on the direction of the electric current?

The direction of the magnetic force between two wires with opposite charges is perpendicular to both the direction of the electric current in the wires and the direction of the magnetic field produced by the current. This means that if the electric current in one wire is flowing towards the other wire, the magnetic force will act in a direction perpendicular to both wires, and vice versa.

4. Can the magnetic force between two wires with opposite charges be attractive?

Yes, the magnetic force between two wires with opposite charges can be attractive. This occurs when the currents in the wires are flowing in the same direction, and the wires are placed close to each other. In this case, the magnetic fields generated by the currents will interact in a way that causes the wires to be pulled towards each other.

5. How does the distance between the wires affect the magnetic force between two wires with opposite charges?

The distance between the wires has a significant effect on the magnetic force between two wires with opposite charges. As the distance between the wires increases, the force decreases, and vice versa. This is because the magnetic field strength decreases with distance, and therefore the force between the wires becomes weaker as they are placed further apart.