Magnetic field in the open loop

In summary, a student is trying to find the magnetic field at a point in a picture. A hint was provided about using the Biot-Savart law. This law often simplifies the integration of a variable of integration. The student was then asked to divide a wire into some parts and find the magnetic field created by these parts. The left and right sides of the wire should then cancel out according to the law. Then, the student was asked to do the same for the bottom side. Lastly, the student was asked to prove the results using arithmetic.
tomfrank

Homework Statement

I am trying to find the magnetic field at the point in the middle of the picture can someone give a hint on how to approach the problem?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• magne.jpg
    magne.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 447
Physics news on Phys.org
Attachments Pending Approval...

any help?

tomfrank said:

Homework Statement

I am trying to find the magnetic field at the point in the middle of the picture can someone give a hint on how to approach the problem?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The hint is to use the Biot-Savart law... (Hint: it often simplifies the integration to make your variable of integration theta...)

you should divide the wire into some parts and find m.f created by these parts.

would the left and the right side cancel out...

So I have to do it just for the bottom side?

so thus this integral work :

B= ([tex]\mu[/tex]*I)/(4*pi*x)[tex]\int[/tex] between(-pi/4) and (pi/4) of cos ([tex]\theta) d\theta[/tex]

tomfrank said:
would the left and the right side cancel out...

So I have to do it just for the bottom side?

I believe so (though I might be wrong). In all cases you should prove it via arithmetic so don't use this shortcut if you are not sure.

tomfrank said:
so thus this integral work :

B= ([tex]\mu[/tex]*I)/(4*pi*x)[tex]\int[/tex] between(-pi/4) and (pi/4) of cos ([tex]\theta) d\theta[/tex]

No. Biot-Savart:

[tex]
dB = \frac{\mu_0 I}{4 \pi} \frac{dl sin\theta}{r^2}
[/tex]

With [tex]\theta[/tex] is angle between dl and r. imo, you can use symmetry property to make life easier.

so i stil do not quite get it...does the two side cancel out?

[tex]

dB = \frac{\mu_0 I}{4\pi r^2} {dl sin\theta}

[/tex]

will the angle be (-pi/4) to (pi/4)

No. r is changing with theta. Can you find relationship between sin(theta) and r? and between r and x?

About two sides, you can say that they cancel out.

i see how you are looking at the picture.

basically the

sin (theta) dl = cos (theta') dl

and

1/r^2 = cos^2(theta')/ x^2
when i put all of them in the integral reduce down to

[tex]dB = \frac{\mu_0 I}{4\pi x} {dl cos\theta}

[/tex]

i do not know yet what boundary to use for the integral

1/r^2 = cos^2(theta')/ x^2

from this, i guess theta and theta' as shown in fig below:

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/6568/88285645.jpg

is that right?

Last edited by a moderator:
dB = μo/4π*I*di*sinθ/r^2
where sinθ = x/r = x/sqrt( x^2 + l^2)
Take the limits of integration from -x/2 to +x/2.

yes the picture with the angle is exactly what I was thinking...what are the limits for the integral angles?

tomfrank said:
yes the picture with the angle is exactly what I was thinking...what are the limits for the integral angles?

The limits come from the geometry of the diagram. You really should be able to figure that part out.

And on your PM question to me, know, the B-field contributions from the two sides on the left and right do not cancel out.

i did to -45 to 45...will that work?

tomfrank said:
i did to -45 to 45...will that work?

Based on your initial drawing, yes.

thank you

1. What is an open loop magnetic field?

An open loop magnetic field refers to a magnetic field that does not form a complete loop or circuit. This means that the magnetic field lines do not return to their starting point, but instead continue on indefinitely.

2. How is an open loop magnetic field created?

An open loop magnetic field is typically created by passing an electric current through a conductor, such as a wire. The current creates a magnetic field around the conductor, which can be visualized as a series of concentric circles perpendicular to the direction of the current.

3. What are the properties of an open loop magnetic field?

An open loop magnetic field has several key properties, including strength, direction, and polarity. The strength of the field depends on the amount of current flowing through the conductor, while the direction is determined by the direction of the current. Polarity refers to the orientation of the field, with opposite poles attracting and like poles repelling.

4. What are some real-world applications of open loop magnetic fields?

Open loop magnetic fields are used in a variety of everyday devices, such as electric motors, speakers, and generators. They are also utilized in medical imaging techniques like MRI machines and in particle accelerators for scientific research.

5. How do open loop magnetic fields differ from closed loop magnetic fields?

The main difference between open loop and closed loop magnetic fields is that in a closed loop, the field lines form a complete loop or circuit, while in an open loop, they do not. This has implications for the strength and direction of the field, as well as the behavior of objects within the field.