1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic field of a finite-length wire

1. Feb 20, 2009 #1
    Let's say I want to calculate the magnetic field at a distance d from the center of a wire of finite length L, carrying a current I. Why would it be wrong to apply Ampere's law to a circular path of radius d centered on the wire, and say that the integral of B.dl is simply B times 2pi*d? (obviously it gives the wrong answer...)

Is the magnetic field not constant along this circular path? I would say so - the problem obviously has cylindrical symmetry.
    Is it not parallel to the path at all points? I would think so - from Biot-Savart's law applied to every small element of the wire.
    So where is the mistake in this logic?

Thanks,

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2009 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

That makes a lot of sense, Chen. Do you happen to know what B is around a "short" current carrying wire? It would be interesting to see how it is different from the B for an infinitely long one. I would expect a slightly smaller answer due to the "missing" length on either side.

Looks to me like the finite length L in the Biot-Savard Law gives you a factor of
    L/sqrt(L^2 + r^2). Anyhow it goes to 1 as L goes to infinity.

Interesting, but it does not answer your question of why Ampere's Law cannot be applied to the finite length! If you find the answer, I hope you will let me know.

4. Feb 20, 2009 #3
    There is a formula here:
    http://www.ac.wwu.edu/~vawter/PhysicsNet/Topics/MagneticField/MFStraitWire.html [Broken]

If we limit our discussion only to the center of the wire, theta=phi and you obtain the result of an infinite wire, times cos(theta). And I am not at all sure where in Ampere's law this factor comes from. There is probably some fine print that I'm missing here.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  5. Feb 20, 2009 #4

Delphi51

Homework Helper

dB = u*i/(4*pi)*sin(A)*dx/r^2 where x runs from -L/2 to L/2, sin(A) = R/r
    and r = sqrt(x^2 + R^2)
    Here R is the distance from the wire center to the point we are computing B for.
    B = u*i/(4*pi)*integral R*dx/(x^2 + R^2)^1.5
    B = u*i/(4*pi*R)*[x/sqrt(x^2 + R^2)] evaluated between -L/2 and L/2.
    B = u*i/(2*pi*R)*L/sqrt(L^2 + R^2)

This is from the standard derivation for the infinite wire, with only the integral limit being changed to -L/2 to L/2.

6. Feb 21, 2009 #5
    Thanks. But I know how to calculate this with Biot-Savart's law. I want to know where the application of Ampere's law to this problem fails.

7. May 18, 2009 #6
    Ampere's Law is only useful in calculating B for situations with very high symmetry. When calculating B of an infinite wire using Ampere's law we choose our path to be a circle around the wire so that B will always be tangent to our path. If the length of the wire isn't large compared to the distance r where we calculate B, this assumption is no longer valid (the B field is no longer symmetric in this way).

8. May 18, 2009 #7
    In short your assumption that a finite wire's B field has cylindrical symmetry is not correct--the effects of the ends make the field lines shaped oddly and not in a way Ampere's Law can work for us.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook