Magnetic field of a wire with current running through it

In summary, the question involves a wire with infinite length placed on the z axis with a current of 2A running downwards and a magnetic field of 2*10-7T in the Y+ direction. The task is to find the magnetic field at points A(1,0,0), B(0,1,0), and C(-1,0,0). The field at each point is the sum of the fields at the points, which includes the field of the wire. The Biot-Savart Law can be used to find the field of an endless wire by integrating over the distance from -∞ to +∞. However, the variation in distance must also be taken into account using Pythagoras'
Dell
on an x,y,z axis i have a wire with infinite length placed on the z axis with a current of 2A running through it downwards, in addition i have a magnetic field of 2*10-7T in the Y+ direction, what is the magnetic firld at
A(1,0,0)
B(0,1,0)
C(-1,0,0)

i know that my field at each point must be the sum of the fields at the points, so it will be 2*10-7T*Y + the field of the wire,

what equation cani use to find the field of an endless wire??

Physics news on Phys.org
Dell said:
what equation cani use to find the field of an endless wire??

You tell us! :wink:

you'll have to integrate over ds from -∞ to +∞ :smile:

i thought that might be it, using Biot-Savart Law?

dB=μ0I/(4∏)*dlxr/r3
but since the wire is 90 degrees to r
dB=μ0I/(4∏)*dl/r2

B=∫μ0I/(4∏)*dl/r2
B=μ0I/(4∏r2)*∫dl

but that will give me infinity?

Last edited:
?? :confused:

you haven't included the variation in distance (use Pythagoras)

(oooh … and have a small pi: π :wink:)

EDIT: hello Redbelly! o:)

The wire is not at 90 degrees to r everywhere:

http://electron9.phys.utk.edu/phys136d/modules/m7/images/dl.gif

That being said ... doesn't your textbook discuss the magnetic field of a long straight wire?

Last edited by a moderator:
so would i say r=sqrt(1+L^2) ??

dB=μ0I/(4∏)*dL/(1+L^2)

Dell said:
so would i say r=sqrt(1+L^2) ??

dB=μ0I/(4∏)*dL/(1+L^2)

yes, except these are vectors, so you need a cosine in there, don't you? :wink:

tiny-tim said:
yes, except these are vectors, so you need a cosine in there, don't you? :wink:

Or perhaps a sine?

p.s. Hello tiny-tim :smile:

What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is an invisible force created by moving electric charges, such as electric current. It is represented by lines of force that show the direction and strength of the field.

How is a magnetic field created by a wire with current?

When electric current flows through a wire, it creates a circular magnetic field around the wire. The direction of the magnetic field depends on the direction of the current flow.

How does the strength of the magnetic field change with the current?

The strength of the magnetic field is directly proportional to the current flowing through the wire. As the current increases, the magnetic field becomes stronger, and vice versa.

What is the relationship between the distance from the wire and the strength of the magnetic field?

The strength of the magnetic field decreases as the distance from the wire increases. This relationship follows the inverse square law, meaning that the strength of the field decreases by a factor of four as the distance doubles.

Can the direction of the magnetic field be changed?

Yes, the direction of the magnetic field can be changed by changing the direction of the current flow. Reversing the direction of the current will also reverse the direction of the magnetic field.