1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic field of revolving disk

1. Jun 7, 2009 #1
    find the expression for the magnetic field at a distance z on the axis which passes through the centre of a disk, with a radius of R, and a charge density σ, the disk is rotating at an anular velocity of ω.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_H4Iz7SmBrbk/SivHVn0m_fI/AAAAAAAABC0/9sgJmbkoJK8/s720/Untitled.jpg [Broken]

could someone tell me if this is all done correctly?

the equations i am going to use are
    1)F=ILxB
    2)f=qvxB
    3)biot savar

1st stage i want to express the charge q,
    q=σπR2

now i use
    f=qvxB=σπR2vB ( the angle is 90 degrees constant)
    f=σπR3

F is also ILB so i know that IL=σπR3ω

now using biot savar

dB=(μI*dlxr)/4πr3)

now for I*dl i want to substitute the expression i found earlier, with R being my variable, not that sure about this...

dB==(μσπR3ωdR)/4π((R2+z2)0.5)3)

dB=(μσR3ωdR)/4((R2+z2)1.5)

B=(μσω/4)*∫R3dR/(z2+R2)1.5

after integration i get

B=(μσω/4)*(1+z2/(z2+R2))*(z2+R2)0.5 with my limits being R from 0 to R

and eventually i get
    B=(μσω/4)*[(1+z2/(z2+R2))*(z2+R2)0.5-2z]

i have never solved anything of this sort and hope everything i have done is okay, thanks

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2009 #2

Cyosis

Homework Helper

You're pretty close, however your mistake is to assume that the force is constant for every r which it is not. [itex]F=qvB[/itex], but v and q are different at different radii. Therefore the total force would be [itex]\int_0^{2R} vBdq =\int_0^{2R} \omega r B 2 \pi r \sigma dr=\int_0^{2R} I B dr[/tex]. We're integrating over the same range and variable so the integrands need to be the same therefore.

[tex]
    2 \pi \sigma \omega r^2 B dr=I B dr \Rightarrow I dr= 2 \pi \sigma \omega r^2 dr
    [/tex]

Then using Biot-Savart yields:
    [tex]
    \frac{\mu_0}{4 \pi} \int_0^{2R} \frac{2 \pi \sigma \omega r^2}{r'^2} \cos \theta dr
    [/tex]

r' is the distance from a point on the disk to the z-axis, [itex]r'^2=r^2+z^2[/itex]. And [itex]\theta[/itex] is the angle between r and r', so [itex]\cos \theta[/itex] picks out the x component of the magnetic field.

An easier way would be using the surface current density, [itex]K=\sigma v[/itex]. Biot-Savart then becomes:
    [tex]
    \vec{B}(\vec{r})=\frac{\mu_0}{4 \pi} \int \frac{\vec{K} \times \hat{r}}{r^2}da'
    [/tex]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook