What is the magnetic field at point P?

In summary, for a closed loop carrying a current of 8.0 A in the counterclockwise direction with outer and inner arc radii of 0.6m and 0.40m respectively, the magnetic field at point P needs to be found. This can be done by using the relevant equations for the magnetic field produced by a current, taking into account the given values for the current and radii. This problem does not involve force, so the equations involving force are not relevant.
Vitani11

Homework Statement

A closed loop carries a current of 8.0 A in the counterclockwise direction. The radius of the outer arc is 0.6m and that of the inner arc is 0.40m. What is the magnetic field at P?

Homework Equations

F = ILxB
F = qV x B

R = outer radius
r = inner radius

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
ILxB = mV2/R

I don't even know how to APPROACH this problem. Please help me. These equations above have too many unknowns to give me an answer and so I need more. I can find L but I can not find m and V in terms on knowns, and even still I think this is a horrible way of solving the problem. I would like to do a sum of forces but ∑F = ILxB + qvxB = ma doesn't exactly help because if I replace a with mv2/R I still have as many unknowns as before but this time I need q and v.

Attachments

• WIN_20161119_124835.JPG
    WIN_20161119_124835.JPG
    25.9 KB · Views: 440
Physics news on Phys.org
There is a concept I'm not getting. The majority of the problems on this homework set are like this - so if I can understand how to approach one of these I can approach many. For example a lot of these require me to relate the B field and time, acceleration, etc. but only in terms of B and I.

This problem does not involve force. So, your "relevant" equations are not applicable.

You need to find the magnetic field at point P. The field is due to the current in the wire. You should have covered some methods for finding the field produced by a current.

1. What is the magnetic field at point P?

The magnetic field at point P is a measure of the strength and direction of the magnetic force at that particular point in space. It is represented by a vector quantity, with both magnitude and direction.

2. How is the magnetic field at point P measured?

The magnetic field at point P can be measured using a device called a magnetometer, which can detect the strength and direction of the magnetic field. Another way to measure the magnetic field at point P is by using a compass, which aligns with the Earth's magnetic field.

3. What factors affect the magnetic field at point P?

The magnetic field at point P is affected by the presence of magnetic materials (such as magnets or ferromagnetic substances), electric currents, and the distance from the source of the magnetic field. In addition, the direction of the magnetic field at point P can also be influenced by the orientation of the Earth's magnetic field.

4. How does the magnetic field at point P relate to electromagnetism?

The magnetic field at point P is a fundamental aspect of electromagnetism. Moving electric charges create a magnetic field, and changing magnetic fields can induce electric currents. This relationship is described by Maxwell's equations, which form the basis of classical electromagnetism.

5. Why is the magnetic field at point P important?

The magnetic field at point P plays a crucial role in many everyday applications, such as in electrical motors, generators, and compasses. It also has important implications in understanding the behavior of charged particles in the universe, such as in the Earth's magnetosphere and the formation of stars and galaxies.