Magnetic Field required to maintain protons at 7Tev in LHC

In summary: Centripetal acceleration is given by:a_{cent} = \frac{v^2}{r} \, F_{cent}And the Lorentz force is:F_{Lorentz} = \frac{v^2}{r} \, a_{\vec{cent}}
Steel_Panther

Homework Statement

Piece of homework I am stuck on. I have to calculate the magnetic field required to maintain protons at 7Tev in the LHC which has a radius of 27 km. I also have to work out the cyclotron frequency as well.

Homework Equations

7 x 10^15 = mc^2/√(1-v^2/c^2) - mc^2 ----(1)

R = mv/qB ----(2) Where R is radius, q is charge and B is the magnetic field

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to work out the velocity of the protons using the first equation as I am sure with that amount of energy I need to take relativity into account. I could then input that into equation 2, but with there being relativistic effects wouldn't these effects on m have to be taken into account? I am not sure if I am going the correct way about tackling this. Any thoughts? Thanks guys

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, and welcome to PF.

Yes, you will need to include relativistic effects for R. If you write R in the form R = p/qB where p is the momentum, then it will be valid for both relativistic and nonrelativistic cases.

There's a well-known equation that relates energy and momentum that will make it easy to find p.

Steel_Panther said:
have tried to work out the velocity of the protons using the first equation as I am sure with that amount of energy I need to take relativity into account.
The energy given is typically the total energy, not just the kinetic energy. Also, it's best to avoid working with speeds if you can. Stick with energy and momentum.

I could then input that into equation 2, but with there being relativistic effects wouldn't these effects on m have to be taken into account? I'm not sure if I am going the correct way about tackling this. Any thoughts? Thanks guys
You should disabuse yourself of the notion that the mass of an object increases with its speed. The only difference between the relativistic mass, which is what you're referring to, and the energy is a factor of c2, so you might as well just refer to the particle's energy. It's the energy that increases with speed, and the mass m is the invariant, or rest, mass, which is constant.

vela said:
The energy given is typically the total energy, not just the kinetic energy.

Good point. I've seen "energy given" used both ways (KE or total). [EDIT: In a low energy situation it might seem a bit strange for the given energy to be the total energy; e.g., a "1-Gev proton"]. In this problem it won't make much difference.

At that energy, the protons are essentially moving at the speed of light ([itex]E_k \gg m_p c^2[/itex]). The equation for perpendicular acceleration is:
[tex]
a_{\bot} = \frac{c^2}{E} \, F_{\bot}
[/tex]

The Lorentz force is a perpendicular force. Do you know the expression for centripetal acceleration and Lorentz force?

1. What is the purpose of maintaining protons at 7Tev in the LHC?

The Large Hadron Collider (LHC) is a particle accelerator used by scientists to study the fundamental properties of matter and the forces that govern the universe. By maintaining protons at 7Tev, scientists can achieve high-energy collisions that allow them to study particles and interactions at a very small scale.

2. How is the magnetic field used to maintain protons at 7Tev in the LHC?

The LHC uses superconducting magnets to create a strong magnetic field that bends the path of the protons and keeps them in a circular orbit within the accelerator. By increasing the strength of the magnetic field, scientists can increase the energy of the protons and achieve higher collision energies.

3. What is the strength of the magnetic field required to maintain protons at 7Tev in the LHC?

The LHC requires a magnetic field of 8.33 tesla (T) to maintain protons at 7Tev. This is approximately 100,000 times stronger than the Earth's magnetic field.

4. What are the challenges of maintaining such a strong magnetic field in the LHC?

Maintaining a strong magnetic field in the LHC is a technical challenge for scientists. Superconducting magnets must be cooled to extremely low temperatures (around -271°C) using liquid helium in order to operate without resistance. This requires complex and precise cooling systems to keep the magnets at the required temperature.

5. Are there any potential risks associated with maintaining protons at 7Tev in the LHC?

The LHC has been designed with safety as a top priority. The magnetic field used to maintain protons at 7Tev is carefully controlled and monitored to ensure the safety of the accelerator and the people working with it. However, there is always a small risk of accidents or malfunctions, which is why the LHC has multiple safety systems in place to prevent and mitigate any potential risks.