Magnetic Fields; effect on unknown particle?

In summary, the conversation discusses a charged particle entering a uniform magnetic field and following a circular path. The questions revolve around the charge of the particle and the direction of the force on the particle. The use of the right-hand rule is suggested to determine the direction of the force, with the conclusion that the particle in the given figure is negatively charged.
exi

Homework Statement

A charged particle enters a uniform magnetic field and follows this circular path:

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/781/physsk4.png

Questions:

1: Is it positively or negatively charged, or is it electrically inert?
2: Why?

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

Our class time has mostly focused on formulas and use of such; I'm a little unsure as to what I'm looking at here.

Would much appreciate it if someone could Cliffs Notes what exactly is represented in the above figure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Here you go:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorentz_force

The B field is pointing at you in the figure that you posted, and the particle is deflected in a circular manner to the left. The vector equations at the wikipedia page should help you answer the questions.

berkeman said:
Here you go:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorentz_force

The B field is pointing at you in the figure that you posted, and the particle is deflected in a circular manner to the left. The vector equations at the wikipedia page should help you answer the questions.

Really not sure what I'm not understanding here. The Lorentz article does make mention of the right hand rule, which - if I'm doing it correctly - tells me that the net force on a positively-charged particle would be directed straight downwards. Is there any significance to this?

edit: WP says "a positively charged particle will curve perpendicularly to both the instantaneous velocity vector v and the B field according to the right-hand rule." Wouldn't that make this a positive particle?

Last edited:
To apply the righthand rule, point your right fingers in the direction of qv (which if the particle is positive in the drawing, would be up toward the top of the screen), then curl your fingers in the direction of B (that's forming the qv X B cross product using the righthand rule), and your thumb now points in the direction of the force. Which way is it pointing? So was the initial assumption about a + charge correct?

berkeman said:
To apply the righthand rule, point your right fingers in the direction of qv (which if the particle is positive in the drawing, would be up toward the top of the screen), then curl your fingers in the direction of B (that's forming the qv X B cross product using the righthand rule), and your thumb now points in the direction of the force. Which way is it pointing? So was the initial assumption about a + charge correct?

If I do that, my thumb's pointing upward, and the particle's still apparently curving perpendicular to that, so...

exi said:
If I do that, my thumb's pointing upward, and the particle's still apparently curving perpendicular to that, so...

No, no, no. This is hard to do by written word. Let me find a drawing...

Wikipedia to the rescue again:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_hand_rule

In the problem in your original post (OP), aim your arm, hand and fingers running up the display (pointing at the ceiling in the room where you are). Call that the x direction. Now curl the fingers only, so that they point in the direction of the B field coming out of the page at you. Your arm hand are still pointing up at the ceiling, but now your fingers are curled over pointing at your face. There is only one way that your thumb can be pointing...to the _____ .

I have to bail to ride to some meetings and then to home. I'll try to check back in a few hours to be sure you got it right.

berkeman said:
Wikipedia to the rescue again:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_hand_rule

In the problem in your original post (OP), aim your arm, hand and fingers running up the display (pointing at the ceiling in the room where you are). Call that the x direction. Now curl the fingers only, so that they point in the direction of the B field coming out of the page at you. Your arm hand are still pointing up at the ceiling, but now your fingers are curled over pointing at your face. There is only one way that your thumb can be pointing...to the _____ .

Ahh, without keeping your thumb at your index finger's side and just left out naturally? Pointing to the right.

exi,
another form of the RH rule which you may find easier is to point your thumb in the direction of the charge's velocity vector. The point your fingertips in the direction of the B field. Finally, the force on a positive charge is in the direction your open palm is facing. If the charge is negative, the force points in the opposite direction.

From the drawing you posted, if you point your thumb toward the ceiling, and point your fingertips out of the page, you'll see your palm is opening to the right-- which indicates the F on a positive charge would accelerate the charge in a clockwise circle. Here, the force accelerates the charge to the left, so we know the charge is negative.

There are several RHRs...find one that works for you.

exi said:
Ahh, without keeping your thumb at your index finger's side and just left out naturally? Pointing to the right.

Correct-amundo. Glad you got it figured out.

Thanks, berkeman/mps. Makes sense now. o:)

1. How do magnetic fields affect unknown particles?

Magnetic fields can affect unknown particles in various ways. The most common effect is that the particles will experience a force when placed in a magnetic field. This force can cause the particles to move in a circular or helical path depending on their charge and velocity.

2. Can magnetic fields change the properties of unknown particles?

Yes, magnetic fields can change the properties of unknown particles. When particles are subjected to a magnetic field, they can experience a change in their spin, orientation, or energy level. This change can be temporary or permanent depending on the strength and duration of the magnetic field.

3. How can we measure the effects of magnetic fields on unknown particles?

There are several methods for measuring the effects of magnetic fields on unknown particles. One common method is to use a particle detector, such as a cloud chamber or bubble chamber, which can track the path of the particles and reveal their interactions with the magnetic field. Another method is to use spectroscopy techniques to analyze the energy levels of particles in a magnetic field.

4. Are there any practical applications of understanding the effects of magnetic fields on unknown particles?

Yes, there are many practical applications of understanding the effects of magnetic fields on unknown particles. One example is in medical imaging, where magnetic fields are used to manipulate and detect particles in the body for diagnostic purposes. Another application is in particle accelerators, where magnetic fields are used to control and steer particles at high speeds.

5. How does the strength of a magnetic field affect its impact on unknown particles?

The strength of a magnetic field directly impacts its impact on unknown particles. A stronger magnetic field will exert a greater force on the particles and can cause more significant changes in their properties. The direction and orientation of the magnetic field also play a role in its impact on particles.