1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Fields from Two Infinite Sheets of Current Problem

1. Mar 22, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two infinite sheets of current flow parallel to the y-z plane as shown. The sheets are equally spaced from the origin by xo = 4.2 cm. Each sheet consists of an infinite array of wires with a density n = 16 wires/cm. Each wire in the left sheet carries a current I1 = 2.3 A in the negative z-direction. Each wire in the right sheet carries a current I2 = 4.2 A in the positive z-direction.

What is
    ∫B *dl
    where the integral is taken along the dotted line shown, from a to b. H is 11.7cm.

2. Relevant equations

∫B *dl (it's a dot product)

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm not really sure how to start this problem. I thought about finding the current enclosed, because that is what i did for a similar problem, but there isn't any current enclosed. Would both sheets of current be affecting this segment? I think so, and i know they would be acting in opposite directions (using the right hand rule at those locations). I also thought that i could ignore the horizontal distance between a and b since i thought that would be perpendicular to dl.
    https://www.smartphysics.com/Content/Media/Images/EM/15/h15_sheets.png [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2013 #2
    Of course there is current enclosed, just look at those x inside the trapezoid! But you are correct that this method won't work. Because the other sheet is there, you won't be able to find B by a symmetry argument.

However, if there was only one sheet then you may be able to do it.

I suggest you use something called superposition. In other words, B = B from sheet 1 + B from sheet 2. So first figure the B field from just one sheet.

4. Mar 23, 2013 #3
    But, this question isn't talking about the trapezoid. It only wants the segment from a to b. I tried doing 4.2(current from right sheet) minus 2.3(the current from the left sheet) times 16*11.7, to get a current enclosed. But the enclosed terminology didn't seem to apply here.

5. Mar 23, 2013 #4
    Also, I think that all the contributions to the segment would be vertical components since the sheets are infinite.

6. Mar 23, 2013 #5
    Like I wrote before, first consider only one sheet and find the B field everywhere outside that single sheet.

7. Mar 23, 2013 #6
    Okay, so then would i use Iu/(2pi*r)? to find the b field at that distance away. But then if i do that what do i select as my r, since a and b are not at an equal distance. I'm thinking a, because if i draw a triangle the vertical component is at h, which is the same distance as a is from the sheet.

8. Mar 23, 2013 #7
    Try to find the B field of a single sheet. This is due to a bunch of currents at different distances. You could try and use the Biot–Savart law, but there is an easier way. You can just assume that the B field is parallel to the sheet everywhere (and perpendicular to the current).

9. Mar 23, 2013 #8
    Okay so i guess i'm blanking on how to find the b-field for a single sheet. I thought my only two equations to find the b field were biot-savart and the integral of b*dl

10. Mar 23, 2013 #9
    So, try the second one, ∫bdl! I suggest you try a rectangular path.

11. Mar 24, 2013 #10
    The line integral is independent of whatever current lies outside the loop. The answer is μI where I is the current enclosed.
    please refer to Fundamentals of Physics by Halliday and Resnick

12. Mar 24, 2013 #11
    So, i tried to do make the rectangle with h as my height for both sheets. I did 11.7*16 to get the number of wires enclosed times 2.3 and 4.2 for the respected sheets. I subtracted the two values and then multiplied by u, but this wasn't correct. So im thinking that i didn't make the correct rectangle..

13. Mar 24, 2013 #12
    you don't need to include the current [itex]I_2[/itex] as it is not within the loop. Is the answer [itex]5.4\times10^{-4}[/itex]?

14. Mar 24, 2013 #13
    That was the answer to an earlier question, when it asked for the B-field within the trapezoid, but this one is only asking for the field along the line segment. As far as i can tell, it doesn't really include and current.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted