Magnetic Fields from Two Infinite Sheets of Current Problem

In summary, two infinite sheets of current, equally spaced from the origin, with densities of 16 wires/cm and carrying currents of 2.3 A and 4.2 A, respectively, are affecting a line segment from a to b. Using the method of superposition, the B field can be found by considering the contribution from each sheet separately. The B field is assumed to be parallel to the sheet and perpendicular to the current. Using the line integral, the B field can be calculated to be μI, where I is the current enclosed. Therefore, the B field along the line segment is 5.4 x 10^-4.
Gee Wiz

Homework Statement

Two infinite sheets of current flow parallel to the y-z plane as shown. The sheets are equally spaced from the origin by xo = 4.2 cm. Each sheet consists of an infinite array of wires with a density n = 16 wires/cm. Each wire in the left sheet carries a current I1 = 2.3 A in the negative z-direction. Each wire in the right sheet carries a current I2 = 4.2 A in the positive z-direction.

What is
∫B *dl
where the integral is taken along the dotted line shown, from a to b. H is 11.7cm.

Homework Equations

∫B *dl (it's a dot product)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not really sure how to start this problem. I thought about finding the current enclosed, because that is what i did for a similar problem, but there isn't any current enclosed. Would both sheets of current be affecting this segment? I think so, and i know they would be acting in opposite directions (using the right hand rule at those locations). I also thought that i could ignore the horizontal distance between a and b since i thought that would be perpendicular to dl.
https://www.smartphysics.com/Content/Media/Images/EM/15/h15_sheets.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Of course there is current enclosed, just look at those x inside the trapezoid! But you are correct that this method won't work. Because the other sheet is there, you won't be able to find B by a symmetry argument.

However, if there was only one sheet then you may be able to do it.

I suggest you use something called superposition. In other words, B = B from sheet 1 + B from sheet 2. So first figure the B field from just one sheet.

But, this question isn't talking about the trapezoid. It only wants the segment from a to b. I tried doing 4.2(current from right sheet) minus 2.3(the current from the left sheet) times 16*11.7, to get a current enclosed. But the enclosed terminology didn't seem to apply here.

Also, I think that all the contributions to the segment would be vertical components since the sheets are infinite.

Like I wrote before, first consider only one sheet and find the B field everywhere outside that single sheet.

Okay, so then would i use Iu/(2pi*r)? to find the b field at that distance away. But then if i do that what do i select as my r, since a and b are not at an equal distance. I'm thinking a, because if i draw a triangle the vertical component is at h, which is the same distance as a is from the sheet.

Try to find the B field of a single sheet. This is due to a bunch of currents at different distances. You could try and use the Biot–Savart law, but there is an easier way. You can just assume that the B field is parallel to the sheet everywhere (and perpendicular to the current).

Okay so i guess I'm blanking on how to find the b-field for a single sheet. I thought my only two equations to find the b field were biot-savart and the integral of b*dl

So, try the second one, ∫bdl! I suggest you try a rectangular path.

MisterX said:
Of course there is current enclosed, just look at those x inside the trapezoid! But you are correct that this method won't work. Because the other sheet is there, you won't be able to find B by a symmetry argument.

The line integral is independent of whatever current lies outside the loop. The answer is μI where I is the current enclosed.
please refer to Fundamentals of Physics by Halliday and Resnick

So, i tried to do make the rectangle with h as my height for both sheets. I did 11.7*16 to get the number of wires enclosed times 2.3 and 4.2 for the respected sheets. I subtracted the two values and then multiplied by u, but this wasn't correct. So I am thinking that i didn't make the correct rectangle..

Gee Wiz said:
I did 11.7*16 to get the number of wires enclosed times 2.3 and 4.2 for the respected sheets.

you don't need to include the current [itex]I_2[/itex] as it is not within the loop. Is the answer [itex]5.4\times10^{-4}[/itex]?

That was the answer to an earlier question, when it asked for the B-field within the trapezoid, but this one is only asking for the field along the line segment. As far as i can tell, it doesn't really include and current.

1. What is the purpose of studying the magnetic fields from two infinite sheets of current problem?

Studying this problem allows us to understand the behavior of magnetic fields in a scenario where there are two parallel, infinitely long current-carrying sheets. This can help us understand how magnetic fields interact and how they can affect nearby objects.

2. How do you calculate the magnetic field from two infinite sheets of current?

To calculate the magnetic field, we use the Biot-Savart Law, which states that the magnetic field at a point is proportional to the current and the distance from the point to the current element. We must also take into account the direction of the current and the orientation of the sheets.

3. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field between two infinite sheets of current?

The strength of the magnetic field is affected by the distance between the sheets, the magnitude of the current, and the angle between the sheets. The orientation and shape of the current-carrying sheets also play a role in determining the strength of the magnetic field.

4. Can the magnetic field between two infinite sheets of current be zero?

Yes, it is possible for the magnetic field to be zero between two parallel, infinitely long current-carrying sheets. This occurs when the currents are equal and opposite in direction, canceling out each other's magnetic fields.

5. How is the magnetic field affected if one of the current-carrying sheets is rotated?

If one of the sheets is rotated, the angle between the two sheets changes, which can affect the strength and direction of the magnetic field. The magnetic field may also become asymmetric, resulting in a more complex field pattern.