Magnetic fields out of long wires

In summary, the student attempted to solve for the magnetic field at point b using Ampere's Law, but made a mistake with the radius and unit conversion. The correct radius should have been 0.01 meters instead of 0.2 cm. The student also mentioned needing to double the result due to two identical fields, but this was incorrect. The correct answer is 1*10-5 T pointing in the positive direction.
winterbell

Homework Statement

Assume that I = 5.0A.
33.Ex13_v2.jpg

What is the magnetic field at point b in the figure? Give your answer as a vector.

Homework Equations

Ampere's Law - B = (μ0I)/(2πr)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried plugging the given numbers into Ampere's Law for point b, which gave me B = (4π*10-7) *5.0 I/(2π*0.2 cm), or a result of 1*10-5 T pointing in the positive direction. I assumed this should be doubled as there are two identical fields, giving me 2*10-5 T, but this is wrong. Any help on where I went wrong would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, winterbell and welcome to PF!

winterbell said:
I tried plugging the given numbers into Ampere's Law for point b, which gave me B = (4π*10-7) *5.0 I/(2π*0.2 cm), ...

Where did the 0.2 cm come from?

Also, should r be in cm or meters?

TSny said:
Hello, winterbell and welcome to PF!
Where did the 0.2 cm come from?

Also, should r be in cm or meters?

r should be in metres - having gone back and checked I realized that I should actually have had an extra 0 in there and it should have been 0.01 m. I should probably check my values better as I seem to often have problems with this!

Thanks for your help.

1. What are magnetic fields out of long wires?

Magnetic fields out of long wires refer to the magnetic field generated by a current-carrying wire that extends for a long distance.

2. How are magnetic fields out of long wires created?

Magnetic fields out of long wires are created by the flow of electric current through the wire. The current creates a magnetic field that wraps around the wire.

3. What is the direction of the magnetic field out of a long wire?

The direction of the magnetic field out of a long wire is perpendicular to the direction of the current flow. This means that if the current is flowing north to south, the magnetic field will be oriented east to west.

4. How does the strength of the magnetic field out of a long wire change with distance?

The strength of the magnetic field out of a long wire decreases with distance from the wire. This is because the magnetic field lines spread out as they move away from the wire, resulting in a weaker field at a greater distance.

5. What are some real-world applications of magnetic fields out of long wires?

Magnetic fields out of long wires have several important applications, such as in electric motors, generators, and transformers. They are also used in medical imaging technologies like MRI machines and in particle accelerators.