Magnetic flux of sliding bar on rails

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a charged capacitor and a resistor connected to a metal bar running on parallel rails. The problem also assumes perfect conductors and no friction. The rails are cylindrical with a radius R and separated by a distance d, while the bar is a distance x along the rails where x >> d >> r. The question posed is about the change in magnetic flux through the center of the circuit when the bar is moving with a constant velocity v. The conversation also includes an attempt at a solution, where the magnitude of the magnetic field of a half infinite wire is incorrectly stated. The person asking the question is unsure about how to express that the flux from the sliding bar can be ignored, given that no specific relation
DiogenesTorch

Homework Statement

"A metal bar which runs on 2 long parallel rails are connected to a charged capacitor with capacitance C and a resistor with resistance R. Assume no friction and perfect conductors. The rails are cylindrical of radius R separated by distance d. The bar is a distance x along the rails where x >> d >> r.

What is the change in the magnetic flux through the center of the circuit if the current I is held constant but the bar is moving with a velocity v. For this part assume the rails are half infinite wires. Careful, it is not obvious that you can ignore the flux contribution from the sliding bar. You have to be clever here."

Homework Equations

My question is why exactly can we ignore the flux contribution from the bar?

It is seems intuitively obvious to me that we can since since x >> d. However my professor generally wants us to be quantitative on things like this and I am not exactly sure how to go about showing this quantitatively. Also I am not sure I am even going about the entire problem correctly.

The Attempt at a Solution

So this is what I have so far. The problem states that we assume the rails are half infinite wires.

The magnitude of the magnetic field of half infinite wire is [itex] |\vec{B}|= \frac{\mu_0 I}{4\pi s} [/itex] where [itex]s[/itex] is the perpendicular distance from the wire

So the flux is
[itex]
\begin{align*}
\Phi &= \int_{circuit} (\vec{B_{top}} + \vec{B_{bottom}}) \cdot d\vec{a} \\
&= \int_0^x \int_r^{d-r} \Biggr( \frac{\mu_0 I}{4\pi (y)} + \frac{\mu_0 I}{4\pi (d-y)} \Biggr) dx dy\\
&=\frac{\mu_0 I x}{2\pi} \ln \Biggr( \frac{d-r}{r} \Biggr)
\end{align*}
[/itex]

Now taking the time derivative

[itex]
\begin{align*}
\frac{d\Phi}{dt} &= \frac{\mu_0 I}{2\pi} \ln \Biggr( \frac{d-r}{r} \Biggr) \frac{dx}{dt}\\
&= \frac{\mu_0 I}{2\pi} \ln \Biggr( \frac{d-r}{r} \Biggr) v
\end{align*}
[/itex]

So does the above look correct?

The part I am unsure of is how to express that we can ignore the flux from the sliding bar. Especially considering no specific relation is given between x and d.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, DiogenesTorch. Welcome to PF!

DiogenesTorch said:
The magnitude of the magnetic field of half infinite wire is [itex] |\vec{B}|= \frac{\mu_0 I}{4\pi s} [/itex] where [itex]s[/itex] is the perpendicular distance from the wire.

This is not correct, except at points directly above or below the finite end of the wire. At other points near the finite end, the field produced by the wire would be more complicated. However, for points way down the wire (in the x direction) so that the wire extends far in both directions from the point, the half-wire would produce a field approximately the same as a wire that extends infinitely far in both directions.

The part I am unsure of is how to express that we can ignore the flux from the sliding bar. Especially considering no specific relation is given between x and d.

You are only concerned with the change in flux during a time dt. So, you should think about the change in flux as the rod moves a distance dx during the time dt and the rod is very far from the finite ends of the wires. Try to see why the current in the rod doesn't need to be taken into account when considering the change in flux through the circuit.

Last edited:

1. What is magnetic flux?

Magnetic flux is a measure of the total amount of magnetic field passing through a surface. It is represented by the symbol Φ and is measured in units of webers (Wb).

2. How is magnetic flux affected by a sliding bar on rails?

When a sliding bar is moved across a set of rails, it cuts through magnetic field lines, causing a change in the magnetic flux. This change in flux induces an electromotive force (EMF) in the bar, resulting in the generation of an electric current.

3. What factors affect the magnetic flux of a sliding bar on rails?

The magnetic flux of a sliding bar on rails is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the speed at which the bar is moved, the length of the bar, and the angle at which the bar cuts through the magnetic field lines.

4. How is the magnetic flux of a sliding bar on rails calculated?

The magnetic flux is calculated by multiplying the strength of the magnetic field by the area of the surface being cut by the field. In the case of a sliding bar on rails, this would be the area of the bar that is cutting through the magnetic field lines.

5. What applications does the concept of magnetic flux in a sliding bar have?

This concept has various applications, such as electromagnetic induction, which is used in generators to produce electricity, and in electric motors to convert electrical energy into mechanical energy. It is also used in devices like transformers and inductive sensors.