Magnetic flux through smaller coil within solenoid

So let's just multiply your answer by 50, for (a). You should get 0.8205 Wb. For (b), you need the magnetic flux in the larger coil, and the current in the smaller coil. Then, use the definition of mutual inductance. See if you can do that.In summary, a solenoid with 235 turns of wire and a smaller coil with 50 turns of wire have a current of 15 A and no current, respectively. The magnetic flux through the smaller coil is 0.8205 Wb and the mutual inductance of the pair of coils can be determined by using the definition of mutual inductance with the magnetic flux
jdubt

Homework Statement

A solenoid has 235 turns of wire wrapped along its length of 27 cm. The diameter of the solenoid is 1.5 cm. In the middle of the solenoid is a smaller coil of diameter 1.0 cm with 50 turns of wire along its 2.0 cm length. The two coils are coaxial. A current of 15 A is in the larger solenoid with no current in the smaller coil.
(a) Determine the magnetic flux through the smaller coil.
(b) Determine the mutual inductance of the pair of coils.

Homework Equations

B= mu_not *n*I
flux =B x A

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried several times with no success. My problem is I don't know how to relate the solenoid to the smaller coil.

B= 4* pi *10^-7*(235/.27)*15 = .01641 T

I believe this is correct but I don't know where to go from here.

flux = (.01641 T)* pi * (.0075)^2

This could be an intermediary step in getting the flux of the smaller coil, but I don't know what to afterwards.

flux = (.01641 T)* pi * (.005)^2

This is incorrect.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with your 0.01641 T calculation.

Hmmm ... your flux expression seems right for a single-loop coil, but they give 50 turns for the smaller coil.

To determine the magnetic flux through the smaller coil within the solenoid, we can use the equation B = μ₀nI, where B is the magnetic field, μ₀ is the permeability of free space, n is the number of turns per unit length, and I is the current. Since the two coils are coaxial, we can assume that the magnetic field generated by the larger solenoid is uniform and parallel to the smaller coil.

Using the given values, we can calculate the magnetic field at the center of the smaller coil: B = (4π×10^-7 Tm/A)(235 turns/0.27 m)(15 A) = 0.01641 T. This value is the same as the one you calculated for the larger solenoid, indicating that the magnetic field is indeed uniform and parallel to the smaller coil.

Now, to calculate the magnetic flux through the smaller coil, we can use the equation flux = B × A, where A is the area of the coil. Since the smaller coil has a diameter of 1.0 cm, its radius is 0.5 cm or 0.005 m. Therefore, the area of the coil is A = πr² = π(0.005 m)² = 7.85×10^-5 m².

Plugging in the values, we get the flux through the smaller coil as: flux = (0.01641 T)(7.85×10^-5 m²) = 1.288×10^-6 Wb.

To determine the mutual inductance of the pair of coils, we can use the equation M = N₁N₂Φ/I, where N₁ and N₂ are the number of turns in the two coils, Φ is the magnetic flux through the smaller coil, and I is the current in the larger solenoid.

Plugging in the values, we get the mutual inductance as: M = (235 turns)(50 turns)(1.288×10^-6 Wb)/(15 A) = 1.614×10^-4 H. This tells us that there is a strong mutual inductance between the two coils, indicating that there will be a significant induced current in the smaller coil when the current in the larger solenoid changes.

1. What is magnetic flux?

Magnetic flux refers to the measure of the strength of a magnetic field passing through a given area. It is represented by the symbol Φ and is measured in units of webers (Wb).

2. How is magnetic flux calculated?

The calculation of magnetic flux depends on the orientation of the magnetic field. In the case of a uniform magnetic field passing through a surface at an angle, the magnetic flux is calculated by multiplying the magnetic field strength by the surface area and the cosine of the angle between the field and the surface.

3. What is a solenoid?

A solenoid is a cylindrical coil of wire that is used to create a magnetic field. It is typically wound in a helical shape and can be used to produce a uniform magnetic field within its center when an electric current is passed through it.

4. How does a smaller coil affect the magnetic flux within a solenoid?

The smaller coil within a solenoid will have a direct impact on the magnetic flux passing through it. If the smaller coil is placed at the center of the solenoid, the magnetic flux will be the same as the flux through the solenoid. However, if the smaller coil is placed off-center, the magnetic flux through the coil will be reduced.

5. What factors can affect the magnetic flux through a smaller coil within a solenoid?

The magnetic flux through a smaller coil within a solenoid can be affected by several factors, including the orientation of the coil with respect to the solenoid, the number of turns in the coil, and the strength of the current passing through the solenoid. Additionally, any magnetic materials present in the vicinity of the solenoid can also impact the magnetic flux.