1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Force in a Current Carrying Wire

1. Mar 14, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The current in a wire consists of n electrons per unit volume moving with a velocity v. What is the effect on these electrons of the magnetic field set up by the current itself within the wire? What is the force on one electron at a distance r from the centre of the wire?

2. Relevant equations

F = QvBsinθ
    Magnetic field strength at a distance r from the axis of the wire outside the wire = u0I/2∏r

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that for part 1, the effect of the magnetic field on the electrons inside the wire will be a radially outward force (taking all electrons to be travelling in straight lines along the wire).

Part 2

F will be equal to QvBsin90 = QvB

Making the subsitution for B I have

F = Qvu0I/2∏r

I believe now that I have to make subsitution for I. Which would be 4/3∏a3vne

where e is fundamental charge and a is the radius of the wire.

This gives:

F = (3/8)u0ve2na3r

I know that the answer is:

F = (1/2)u0v2e2nr
    I think I'm making a mistake in calculating my current, but I'm not sure. Help Please?

Thanks

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2012 #2
    Hi! This is my first time helping someone out so here goes:

To make the substitution for current I, you should use:
    [itex] I=\int J \bullet da [/itex]
    where J is the current density, equal to nev in this case. After doing a quick integration you should get the proper current which will give the correct answer for the force.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook