Magnetic Force of a Right Triangle influenced by a Line

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
g85108
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement

http://www.sumoware.com/images/temp/xzlknterambqmokp.png

How to calculate the Magnetic Force of THE "Right Triangle" influenced by a Line
when the magnetic field isn't constant B=u0*I/2piR?

Homework Equations


B=u0*I/2piR
F=iLB

The Attempt at a Solution


I can use F=iLB to calculate the bottom line.
But how to calculate the two other sides magnetic field.
How to integral the magnetic field?
Is it possible to use the middle point of the two sides to represent the whole line?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
F=∫IXB dL

Consider you can compute the integral once you figure out how to connect the two variables R and L
 
g85108 said:
Is it possible to use the middle point of the two sides to represent the whole line?

That would work only if the magnetic field varied linearly with distance from the wire at the bottom, e.g. B = kr. I think you need to set up an integral, as throneoo noted.