Magnetic Force of Wires: Solve Homework Equation

In summary, a bundled cylinder of 100 insulated wires with a radius of .5cm are carrying a current of 2A. The question asks for the magnitude and direction of the magnetic force per unit length on a wire located .2cm from the center of the bundle. The correct approach is to find the magnetic field of a solenoid, since the wires form a cylindrical bundle, and not that of a straight wire. The magnetic field is found to be .008T, and the correct formula to use is F/L=IXB. This is a correction, as initially it was thought that the wires curved to form a cylinder, but they are actually straight.
stryker123

Homework Statement

A packed bundle of 100 long, straight, insulated wires forms a cylinder of radius R=.5cm

a. if each wire carries 2A, what are the magnitude and direction of the magnetic force per unit length acting on a wire located .2cm from the center of the bundle?

Homework Equations

B = μoI / 2(pi)r
?

The Attempt at a Solution

I found B to be .008T. but now I don't know what to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
a packed bundle of wires that form a cylinder is a solenoid - thus you will ahve to find the magnetic field of a solenoid, and not that of a straight line ,as you have found

stunner5000pt said:
a packed bundle of wires that form a cylinder is a solenoid - thus you will ahve to find the magnetic field of a solenoid, and not that of a straight line ,as you have found
No. It is a straight wire.

Just use F/L=IXB.

Meir Achuz said:
No. It is a straight wire.

my mistake
i thought the wires curved to form a cylinder but instead we have a cylindrical bundle of parallel wires

1. What is "Magnetic Force of Wires"?

"Magnetic Force of Wires" refers to the force exerted by a magnetic field on a current-carrying wire. This force is perpendicular to both the direction of the current and the magnetic field.

2. How is the magnetic force of wires calculated?

The magnetic force of wires can be calculated using the equation F = ILBsinθ, where F is the force in Newtons, I is the current in Amperes, L is the length of the wire in meters, B is the magnetic field strength in Tesla, and θ is the angle between the current and the magnetic field.

3. What is the direction of the magnetic force of wires?

The direction of the magnetic force of wires is perpendicular to both the direction of the current and the magnetic field. This is known as the right-hand rule, where the thumb represents the direction of the force, the index finger represents the direction of the current, and the middle finger represents the direction of the magnetic field.

4. How does the length of the wire affect the magnetic force?

The longer the wire, the greater the force it will experience in a magnetic field, as long as the current and the magnetic field strength remain constant. This is because the force is directly proportional to the length of the wire (F ∝ L).

5. Can the magnetic force of wires be used for practical applications?

Yes, the magnetic force of wires has many practical applications, such as in electric motors, generators, and even in MRI machines. It is also used in various industries for tasks such as separating metal from waste materials and measuring the flow of liquids through pipes.