1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic field far from the origin

1. Jul 1, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An important result in the theory of antennas, is that if a current passes through the ZZ axis, the magnetic field far from the origin can be expressed in spherical coordinates, using only one componente of the magnetic vector potential.
    Prove that:
    Code_Cogs_Eqn_2.gif

2. Relevant equations
    The magnectic field for a straight wire is mu0*I/(2*pi*r), and B=∇xA.

3. The attempt at a solution
    This was in my exam last week, and i have no idea how to solve it... I've tried stating with the magnetic field of a straight wire, but i don't know how to relate that with the curl of A. Can you guys please help me out?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2015 #2

tech99

Gold Member

Well I think at a great distance, we are talking about the magnetic field of the radiated EM wave. These fields, when radiated from a short conductor, will fall off inversely with distance, have a maximum at 90 degrees to the conductor and a radiation pattern which falls off with the cosine of this angle. Maybe this description will help?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted