Magnetic force on a charge outside of toroidal coil

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Alex Farraday
Messages
4
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Turns of wire would around a toroidal core, carrying a sinusoidal alternating current i(t), represent a toroidal coil in my case. My question is, does magnetic force affect a non-moving charge outside of toroidal core and is there a magnetic field outside of toroidal core? What if the charge moves?[/B]

Homework Equations


Just theoretical explanation.[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution


I guess there is no magnetic field outside of the core, thus, no force affecting the charge outside of the core, but, I feel like I'm utterly wrong :(
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Alex Farraday said:

Homework Statement


Turns of wire would around a toroidal core, carrying a sinusoidal alternating current i(t), represent a toroidal coil in my case. My question is, does magnetic force affect a non-moving charge outside of toroidal core and is there a magnetic field outside of toroidal core? What if the charge moves?[/B]

Homework Equations


Just theoretical explanation.[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution


I guess there is no magnetic field outside of the core, thus, no force affecting the charge outside of the core, but, I feel like I'm utterly wrong :(

Theoretical explanation: If the coil around the toroidal core is perfect (infinite number of turns) there is no magnetic field outside the core and the coil.

Practical explanation: There is a magnetic field because the coil is not perfect (finite number of turns). Assume that the number of turns around the core are reduced to zero, having a conductor along the core (but not around), then imagine a circulation path around this conductor (and the core). Now Amperes law states:

The circulation integral of H⋅ds = N*I.

Therfore there must be a H-field along this path as N*I = I, ( B = μ0*H ). So as number of turns are reduced, the magnetic field outside the core will become more appearent due to a nonperfect coil. If the number of turns are infinite, no current will pass through this imagined circulation path.
 
Last edited: