1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic force on a charge outside of toroidal coil

1. Apr 14, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Turns of wire would around a toroidal core, carrying a sinusoidal alternating current i(t), represent a toroidal coil in my case. My question is, does magnetic force affect a non-moving charge outside of toroidal core and is there a magnetic field outside of toroidal core? What if the charge moves?

2. Relevant equations
    Just theoretical explanation.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I guess there is no magnetic field outside of the core, thus, no force affecting the charge outside of the core, but, I feel like I'm utterly wrong :(

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2015 #2

Hesch

Gold Member

Theoretical explanation: If the coil around the toroidal core is perfect (infinite number of turns) there is no magnetic field outside the core and the coil.

Practical explanation: There is a magnetic field because the coil is not perfect (finite number of turns). Assume that the number of turns around the core are reduced to zero, having a conductor along the core (but not around), then imagine a circulation path around this conductor (and the core). Now Amperes law states:

The circulation integral of Hds = N*I.

Therfore there must be a H-field along this path as N*I = I, ( B = μ0*H ). So as number of turns are reduced, the magnetic field outside the core will become more appearent due to a nonperfect coil. If the number of turns are infinite, no current will pass through this imagined circulation path.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted