Magnetic moment between 2 bar magnets

In summary, the problem at hand involves finding the equilibrium position of a floating bar magnet above another bar magnet, given their masses and magnetic moments. The approach to solving this involves balancing the gravitational and magnetic forces, using the equation for magnetic dipole-dipole interaction. However, there may be alternative methods to solving this problem, such as using energy considerations.
JGBuck94

Homework Statement

A bar magnet floats above another bar magnet. The first has mass u1 and magnetic moment m1=m1k^ and is on the ground. The second has mass u2 and mag. moment m2=-m2k^ and is a distance z above the ground, find z

2. Homework Equations

I assume I need to calculate the magnetic force between the 2 and equate that to the gravitational force, so;
Bdip(r)=(u0/4pi*r3){3(m.r^)r^-m}
and FB=IBw
and Fg=-u2g

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not entirely sure how to begin this question, I think I need to balance out the gravitational force and magnetic force to find the equilibrium position of the floating bar magnet and the magnetic moments will superpose because of the uniform magnetic field, my main problem is using that equation for the magnetic field, I haven't seen it before and I am just going by Griffiths which seems to imply this equation will only work with a circular loop (?)

Physics news on Phys.org
So, I think the I is from the electron orbits, and it'd be a sum of all of them. I think that's taking it too far. You have the moments, and you have the mass, and you know g. Just balance the forces or use energy or whatever (I guess you'll still end up using forces, ultimately).

1. What is a magnetic moment?

A magnetic moment is a measure of the strength and orientation of a magnet. It describes the ability of a magnet to interact with other magnetic fields.

2. How is the magnetic moment of a bar magnet calculated?

The magnetic moment of a bar magnet can be calculated by multiplying the strength of the magnet (magnetic dipole moment) by the distance between the two poles.

3. How does the magnetic moment between two bar magnets affect their attraction or repulsion?

The strength of the magnetic moment between two bar magnets determines the strength of their attraction or repulsion. The stronger the magnetic moment, the stronger the force between the magnets.

4. Can the magnetic moment between two bar magnets be changed?

Yes, the magnetic moment between two bar magnets can be changed by altering the strength of the magnets or by changing the distance between them. The orientation of the magnets can also affect the magnetic moment.

5. What factors affect the magnetic moment between two bar magnets?

The magnetic moment between two bar magnets is affected by the strength of the magnets, the distance between them, and their orientation. It is also influenced by the magnetic properties of the materials used to make the magnets.