1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Moment, Electron Spin, Energy

1. Oct 26, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The PE of a magnetic moment in an external magnetic field is given by U = -u dot B. Calculate the difference in energy between the two possible orientations of an electron in a magnetic field B = .6k T

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I realize electrons can have an up spin and down spin, but I am having a hard time doing this problem.

I believe I should be using g = 2 for the gyromagnetic ratio. So: (_h = h bar)
    uz = -g uB JZ/_h
    uB = e(_h)/(2me)

Unfortunately then I don't know what I should have for Jz. (This is defined by my book as "any type of angular momentum).

So I guess my problem is that I don't know what I should use for angular momentum, since n and l aren't defined in the problem. Can anyone help clear this up?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2008 #2
    Use the electron spin, S_z. Strange you would know about the gyromagnetic ratio but not about which angular momentum that refers to in the case of an electron!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?