1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What gives rise to a magnetic moment in a proton/neutron?

1. Mar 30, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Describe, with examples, what is meant by magnetic moment. What gives rise to a magnetic moment in a proton/neutron?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know what a magnetic moment is, just struggling with the other parts of the question.
    So what I'm thinking is that an electron orbiting generates a magnetic moment since it is a charged particle moving in a circle. In the same way the spin of a nucleus generates a magnetic moment since the nucleus is comprised of charged quarks which are spinning when the proton/neutron is spinning. Is this correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2016 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, it is not correct. Your view of how things work is way too classical. Why do you think an electron has a magnetic moment? (It is a point particle.)

4. Mar 30, 2016 #3
    Electron generates a magnetic field when it travels in a circle (I x A)

5. Mar 30, 2016 #4
    Also how would a magnetic moment be generated in a neutron/proton, is it just be because of the spin that it has or is it just some inherent property that we have learnt to accept but no answer

6. Mar 30, 2016 #5

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, even a stationary electron has a magnetic moment.

7. Mar 30, 2016 #6
    I think I'm sort of getting it spin is just something that elementary particles have. It is intrinsic to them and anything charged with a spin/angular momentum will have a magnetic moment.

8. Mar 30, 2016 #7

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Even uncharged particles can have an intrinsic magnetic moment, but yes, it is a property of the elementary particle. Just as elementary particles have mass or charge, they in general have an intrinsic angular momentum and magnetic moment.

9. Mar 30, 2016 #8

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The question was about a proton or neutron, not electron.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted