1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic plus gravitation force

1. Feb 24, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] magnetic plus gravitation force

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A circuit consists of wires at the top and bottom and identical metal springs in the left and right sides. the upper portion of the circuit is fixed and has a 24 v battery and 12 ohm resistance. the wire at the bottom has a mass of 10 grams and is 5 cm long. the springs stretch 0.5 cm under the weight of the wire. when a magnetic field is turned on, directed out of the page, the springs stretch an additional .3 cm. what is the magnitude of the magnetic field.

2. Relevant equations F = -kx, I = v/r = 2 Amps, F = ma = mg; F sub B = IL x B

3. The attempt at a solution
    solving for K before the magnetic field is turned on: there are two upward forces from the springs, and one downward force from gravity and mass
    -2kx = - mg
    substitute -2 (-.005 m)(k) = (-.01kg)(6.673 x 10 -11)
    k = 6.673 x 10 -12
    springs are in equilibrium between 2 kx forces and mg force

now magnetic field is turned on and you have 2 -kx's and F sub B, where springs stretch another 0.3 cm or .003 meters
    -2 (6.673 x 10 -12)(.003) = F sub b = IL x B = (2 A) (5 cm) x B
    so B = (4.00 x 10 - 14)/(2)(.05) = 4.0 x 10 - 13 tesla

but the book answer is .588 Tesla - i am only off by a factor of a trillion or so

this should be easy but i am missing a big factor

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2008 #2
    magnetic plus gravitation force Picture

i've attached a picture of the problem. i can't figure out how i could be so far off? what element of the problem am i missing?

Attached Files:

4. Feb 26, 2008 #3
    Magnetic plus gravitation solved

well i was using the Big G gravitational constant instead of little g acceleration = 9.8 meters/sec

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?