1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic vector potential for antiparallel currents

1. Oct 28, 2012 #1
    Two infinitely long wires separated by distance d. Currents: I1 = -I2. Find potential vector as a function of r1 and r2 at a point P (r1 and r2 distances to P from wire one and wire two).
    Del cross A= B
    B = (mu I)/(2pi r)

Using Ampere's, I get an expression for the magnetic field that involves two different distances, r1and r2. I see that integrating this expression with respect to distance will give me the vector potential. But with two distances to take into account, I don't know how to solve this.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2012 #2
    Oh I'm using cylindrical coordinates. With the wires oriented along the z axis, the only term that survives del cross A is the azimuthal component.
    -partial dA/ds = (mu I)/2pi [(1/r1) - (1/r2)] in the phi direction.

4. Oct 28, 2012 #3

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello.

Can you find an expression for A for a single infinitely long straight wire carrying current I ? If so, then the superposition principle will get you the answer fairly easily.

5. Oct 29, 2012 #4
    Thanks TSny. Duh... the problem asks me to get the vector as a function of two different distances. I don't need to find a way to relate them. QuiteEasilyDone

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook