Magneto-static force and Newton's 3rd Law

• Thread starter Pushoam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force Law
In summary, the conversation discusses whether Magnetic Force follows Newton's 3rd Law, and it is concluded that it does not for magneto-static forces due to the perpendicular directions of the magnetic field and force, as well as the small strength of the magnetic field compared to the other force. However, for forces between poles of magnets, the 3rd law does apply as long as the poles are at the same distance from each other.
Pushoam

Homework Statement

Show with an example whether Magnetic Force follows Newton's 3rd Law.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let's consider the following system at time t.
upload_2017-8-10_8-41-45.png

##\vec B ## due to moving q1 at q2 i.e. ## \vec B_1 ## is along ## \hat y ## direction.
So, the force on the q2 is ## \vec F_{on~q2} = q_2 v B_1 \hat z ##

Taking q2 = q1, it's clear that the strength of magnetic field due to q2 at q1 i.e. B_2 is very small compared to B_1.
So, it's clear that magneto - static force doesn't follow Newton's 3rd Law.This results because both magnetic field due to a moving charge and the magnetic force acting on a moving charge are perpendicular to its velocity.
Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Pushoam said:
Let's consider the following system at time t.
View attachment 208683
##\vec B ## due to moving q1 at q2 i.e. ## \vec B_1 ## is along ## \hat y ## direction.
So, the force on the q2 is ## \vec F_{on~q2} = q_2 v B_1 \hat z ##

Taking q2 = q1, it's clear that the strength of magnetic field due to q2 at q1 i.e. B_2 is very small compared to B_1.
So, it's clear that magneto - static force doesn't follow Newton's 3rd Law.
Yes, that's right.

This results because both magnetic field due to a moving charge and the magnetic force acting on a moving charge are perpendicular to its velocity.
Is this correct?
Yes, along with the fact that "the strength of magnetic field due to q2 at q1 i.e. B_2 is very small compared to B_1".

TSny said:
the fact that "the strength of magnetic field due to q2 at q1 i.e. B_2 is very small compared to B_1".

Hello ,

I can see how the direction of forces being exerted on each other are different .

But how are you and the OP concluding that the strength of magnetic field B2 is very small compared to B1 ? Assuming charges are of equal magnitudes , I am not able to see how field strengths are being compared . Is their some implicit assumption ?

The B-field of charge 1 at the location of charge 2 is much stronger than the field of charge 2 at the location of charge 1. In fact the B- field of 2 at the location of 1 is zero.

See for example the following (which neglects relativistic effects)

As depicted in the OP q1 is moving with speed v1 along +z and q2 is moving with speed v2 along +x axis .

B1 (due to q1 ) = ##\frac{\mu}{4 \pi r^2}qv_1sin\theta_1 ##

B2 (due to q2 ) = ##\frac{\mu}{4 \pi r^2}qv_2sin\theta_2 ##

Which of the factors make B1 stronger than B2 ?

Strictly speaking, you cannot use Biot - Savart law to calculate magnetic field due to a moving charged particle as the current is not steady.
See the following in the Griffith's Electrodynamics book,
upload_2017-8-15_12-31-31.png

upload_2017-8-15_12-32-0.png

upload_2017-8-15_12-32-35.png

In case of calculating B2 at the position of q1 using your approach and considering griffith's footnote 11, ##\theta_ 2 ## ( which is angle between ## \vec v_2 ## and ## \vec r_1 - \vec r_2 ## i.e. position vector of q1 relative to q2) is ## \pi ##, which makes B2 zero at q1.

TSny said:
The B-field of charge 1 at the location of charge 2 is much stronger than the field of charge 2 at the location of charge 1. In fact the B- field of 2 at the location of 1 is zero.

Do you mind explaining this ?

conscience said:
Do you mind explaining this ?
For a point charge moving at constant velocity, the B field circles around the line of motion of the charge. For the OP's question, the relevant facts are
(1) B = 0 at all points on the line of motion of the charge.
(2) B ≠ 0 at points that are not on the line of motion of the charge.

A diagram of the field is shown here: https://www.miniphysics.com/uy1-magnetic-field-of-a-moving-charge.html

Charge 2 does not produce any B field at the location of charge 1 because charge 1 lies on the line of motion of charge 2. However, charge 1 does produce some magnetic field at the location of particle 2 because 2 does not lie on the line of motion of 1.

Likes conscience
Oh ! I apologise . I didn't pay enough attention to the grey line connecting the two charges in OP's diagram . I was assuming the two charges moving with their instantaneous velocities along the axes but not in the way as shown in the OP .Sorry , again .

By the way , two bar magnets exert equal and opposite forces obeying Newton's Third Law . So magnetic forces do obey Newton's Third Law . Isn't it ?

Yes, forces between poles of magnets obey the 3rd law if the poles are at rest. Otherwise, maybe not. For example, if one of the poles is accelerating wildly, all bets are off.

Likes conscience
TSny said:
if the poles are at rest
What you mean by this is there should be no relative motion between the magnets. Right?

Yes.

Likes Pushoam

1. What is magneto-static force?

Magneto-static force is a type of force that exists between two or more magnetic objects or materials. It is the force that causes magnets to either attract or repel each other based on their magnetic fields.

2. How does magneto-static force relate to Newton's 3rd Law?

According to Newton's 3rd Law, for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when two magnets attract or repel each other, the force they exert on each other is equal in magnitude but opposite in direction.

3. Can magneto-static force be stronger than other types of forces?

Magneto-static force can be stronger than other types of forces, such as gravity or electrostatic force, depending on the strength of the magnets involved. However, it is a relatively weak force compared to other fundamental forces in nature.

4. How does distance affect magneto-static force?

The strength of magneto-static force decreases as the distance between two magnets increases. This is because the magnetic field weakens with distance, resulting in a weaker force of attraction or repulsion between the magnets.

5. Can magneto-static force be blocked or shielded?

Yes, magneto-static force can be blocked or shielded by certain materials, such as iron or steel. This is because these materials have their own magnetic fields that can counteract the magnetic field of the magnets, resulting in a weaker or nonexistent force between them.