Magnetostatics: Finding B field using Amperes Circuital Law

In summary, the conversation is about a question on a past paper regarding Ampere's law and the magnetic field of a cylindrical conductor with a current. The first part of the question asks for the field outside the conductor, which is solved correctly by using the contour integral and the area of the cross-section. The second part of the question, for R1 < r < R2, is where the confusion lies as the solution given introduces a factor that is not clearly explained. It is suggested to work through the problem yourself rather than relying solely on solutions. The second factor in the product in line 2 represents the fraction of the total current enclosed by the circle of radius r, which is used to determine the field inside the conductor.
FaraDazed
I am preparing for an exam and I am going through a past paper which has solutions given for the questions but I need help understanding how the answer comes about. I suspect it may be just the algebra I don't get, but it may be the physics too.

Wasn't sure if this was the correct forum either so move if needed.

The question asks:
A long non-magnetic cylindrical conductor with inner radius R1 and outer radius R2 carries a current I. Using Ampere’s law and some symmetry arguments, find the magnitude of the magnetic field within the conductor and outside it. Assume that the current I is uniformly distributed across the cross-section of the conductor.

For outside, i.e. r > R2 then I personally got that its simply just
[itex]\oint_c \vec{B} \cdot d\vec{r} = \vec{B} 2 \pi r = \mu_0 I \\
\vec{B} = \frac{\mu_0 I}{2 \pi r}
[/itex]

Which was the correct answer in the solutions. But for R1 < r < R2 I struggle to understand where the final answers comes from as the solution given misses a few small steps.
The solution given is:
[itex]
\oint_c \vec{B} \cdot d \vec{r} = \vec{B} 2 \pi r = \mu_0 \vec{j_0} \pi (r^2 - R_1^2) \\
\vec{B} = \frac{\mu_0 I}{2 \pi r} \cdot \frac{r^2 - R_1^2}{R_2^2 - R_1^2 }
[/itex]
I think I understand the first line, where the ##\pi (r^2 - R_1^2) ## on the very RHS is the area of the cross-section of the contour, but I can't see how the second line follows from that? Any help is much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Inside and at R1 the current does not cause a field. At the outer radius R2, the field is equal to the field outside.

PietKuip said:
Inside and at R1 the current does not cause a field. At the outer radius R2, the field is equal to the field outside.
Yeah I understand that bit, I just don't understand how algebraically to get to the second line from the first line r.e. R1 < r < R2. There was an image included but I am having trouble getting it on here, but essentially it is a cylindrical wire such that from the very centre up to R1 is thin air, the the wire bit with current is between R1, and R2, The second bit of the question that I am stuck on, that has the solution I included, had their contour right in the middle between R1 and R2. I can see how the first line comes about, but algebraically can't see how to get to the second line.

It is just going from the current density j to the current I.

PietKuip said:
It is just going from the current density j to the current I.

Ok yeah I understand that is what has been done. The bit I don't get is how the second line comes about algebraically, as it looks (to me) as if there has been a factor of ##\frac{1}{\pi (R_2^2 - R_1^2)} ## has been introduced. I can't see where that came from?

That is the problem of studying solutions.
Unless you have reasons to expect the same problem, it is better to work the problem yourself.

PietKuip said:
That is the problem of studying solutions.
Unless you have reasons to expect the same problem, it is better to work the problem yourself.

First I do try the problems myself and then go back to check the solutions to see if I was correct. With this particular one one I had the first answer correct (for r > R2) but the second bit I was way off from what the solution says and could not see how the final answer comes about, hence asking on here.

The second factor in the product in line 2 is the area of the conductor inside a circle of radius r expressed as a fraction of the whole cross-sectional area of the conductor. So that gives the fraction of the total current, I that is enclosed by the circle of radius r.

1. What is Magnetostatics?

Magnetostatics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of electrically charged particles in motion. It specifically focuses on the interactions between electric and magnetic fields.

2. What is the Amperes Circuital Law?

The Amperes Circuital Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that relates the magnetic field (B) around a closed loop to the electric current (I) passing through that loop. It states that the line integral of the magnetic field around a closed loop is equal to the product of the electric current passing through the loop and the permeability of free space (μ0).

3. How do you use Amperes Circuital Law to find the B field?

To use the Amperes Circuital Law to find the B field, you need to determine the electric current passing through a closed loop and the shape of the loop. Once you have these values, you can use the line integral of the magnetic field around the loop to calculate the B field at any point on the loop.

4. What is the permeability of free space?

The permeability of free space (μ0) is a physical constant that represents the ability of free space to support the formation of magnetic fields. It has a value of approximately 4π x 10^-7 N/A^2 in SI units.

5. What are the applications of Magnetostatics and the Amperes Circuital Law?

Magnetostatics and the Amperes Circuital Law have numerous applications in various fields such as electrical engineering, physics, and geophysics. Some common applications include the design of electric motors, generators, and transformers, as well as the study of Earth's magnetic field and its effects on compasses and navigation systems.