Magnets strength/repel, total movement?

In summary, the conversation discusses the movement of two magnets with different strengths when arranged to repel each other. It is concluded that both magnets will move the same amount due to Newton's 3rd law. The conversation also explores the scenario of using a chain to create movement, with the consensus being that both objects will stop when the chain tightens. The conversation ends with a suggestion to study basic physics for a better understanding of the topic.
thematrixiam
Hey guys.

Not a homework question.

If two magnets have the same friction, same mass, etc. But have different strengths. and they are arranged so that they will repel each other, how will they move in relation to their starting points?

Will they both move 1/2 the distance of the combined force?
Will the weaker magnet move the distance of stronger - weaker force?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks,

that is what I thought.So... if two magnets are held in a position of repulsion by some device, and the device restricts movement in one direction but not in the other, would it move?

Last edited:
thematrixiam said:
Thanks,

that is what I thought.So... if two magnets are held in a position of repulsion by some device, and the device restricts movement in one direction but not in the other, would it move?
You mean like if two people stood face to face and pushed each other away, yet one was standing against a wall would the other one move? Yes.

Like that, but with a chain between the people.

two magnets connected together. Held at an initial position where they will repel each other. But limited in that they can only move in one direction.

So (wall) (magnet +++) string (+++ magnet)

It's a force equilibrium, both bodies receive the same force :)

Edit: I just drew the problem; actually, they don't. If one is stronger, then the other is experiencing a greater force. Wouldn't it therefore make more sense that one is displaced more than the other if they have the same mass and coeff. of friction?

That's what has me confused.

I think the main issue would be getting movement while being attached.

The equivalent scenario that I am looking for would be this. If something has a mass of x, and can theoretically throw part of it's body in a given direction, at a set force, to achieve momentum, how much force would be required to move mass x?

Say superman threw a massive rock on a chain and then just hung on to the chain, I would assume superman would move in the direction of the rock.

^ no that is incorrect. When the chain tightens up, both the rock and superman will stop.

You need to study basic physics and it will all be clear.

meldraft said:
If one is stronger, then the other is experiencing a greater force.
This would be a violation of Newton's 3rd law which states that the force is equal and opposite.

Yes, of course, I forgot the reaction :grumpy: Thanks!

1. How does the strength of a magnet affect its ability to repel or attract other magnets?

The strength of a magnet is directly related to its ability to repel or attract other magnets. A stronger magnet will have a greater force of attraction or repulsion compared to a weaker magnet.

2. What factors determine the strength of a magnet?

The strength of a magnet is determined by several factors, including the type of material it is made of, its size and shape, and the strength of its magnetic field. Generally, magnets made of stronger materials, such as neodymium, will have a higher strength.

3. Can magnets lose their strength over time?

Yes, magnets can lose their strength over time due to a process called demagnetization. This can occur if the magnet is exposed to high temperatures, strong magnetic fields, or physical damage. However, with proper care, most magnets can retain their strength for a long time.

4. How far can a magnet's repulsive or attractive force reach?

The strength of a magnet's repulsive or attractive force decreases as the distance from the magnet increases. This distance is determined by the size and strength of the magnet's magnetic field. In general, the force can reach up to a few times the size of the magnet itself.

5. Can the total movement of a magnet be controlled?

Yes, the total movement of a magnet can be controlled by manipulating its magnetic field. This can be done by changing the position and orientation of other magnets or by applying an external magnetic field. In some cases, the movement of a magnet can also be controlled by physical barriers or by adjusting the strength of the magnet.