Magnitude and angle of the displacement vector

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 7K views
tjbateh
Messages
86
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



The minute hand of a wall clock measures 14 cm from its tip to the axis about which it rotates. The magnitude and angle of the displacement vector of the tip are to be determined for three time intervals. What are the (a) magnitude and (b) angle from a quarter after the hour to half past, the (c) magnitude and (d) angle for the next half hour, and the (e) magnitude and (f) angle for the hour after that? Give all angles as positive values measured counterclockwise from the +x direction (to the right, or 3 o'clock).

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution



I have no idea how to approach this problem. I am confused on the wording of part B..Help anyone?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org


well it means that 2:15 to 2:30, you want the angle made from going from 2:15 to 2:30 by the hand
 


so wouldn't that angle be 90 degrees? I put that, but It was not correct.
 


tjbateh said:
so wouldn't that angle be 90 degrees? I put that, but It was not correct.

that is 90 degrees measuring clockwise, the question said to measure counter-clockwise from the +ve x direction.