1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnitude and angle of the displacement vector

1. Sep 16, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The minute hand of a wall clock measures 14 cm from its tip to the axis about which it rotates. The magnitude and angle of the displacement vector of the tip are to be determined for three time intervals. What are the (a) magnitude and (b) angle from a quarter after the hour to half past, the (c) magnitude and (d) angle for the next half hour, and the (e) magnitude and (f) angle for the hour after that? Give all angles as positive values measured counterclockwise from the +x direction (to the right, or 3 o'clock).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have no idea how to approach this problem. I am confused on the wording of part B..Help anyone?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2009 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Re: Vectors

well it means that 2:15 to 2:30, you want the angle made from going from 2:15 to 2:30 by the hand

4. Sep 16, 2009 #3

so wouldn't that angle be 90 degrees? I put that, but It was not correct.

5. Sep 16, 2009 #4

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

that is 90 degrees measuring clockwise, the question said to measure counter-clockwise from the +ve x direction.

6. Sep 16, 2009 #5

so 270?

7. Sep 16, 2009 #6

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

that is what it looks like it should be

8. Sep 16, 2009 #7

hmmm..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook