1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the second displacement from the first and resultant

1. Jan 19, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A particle undergoes two displacements. The first has a magnitude of 147 cm and makes an angle of 115 degrees with the positive x axis. The resultant displacement has a magnitude of 188 cm and is directed at an angle of 29.6 degrees to the positive x axis.

a) Find the magnitude of the second displacement.
    b) Find the direction of the second displacement (with positive measured counterclockwise from the x axis, between the limits of -180 degrees and 180 degrees).

2. Relevant equations

Not entirely sure.
    Possibly

147{cos115,sin115}

188{cos29.6,sin29.6}

3. The attempt at a solution

I've done similar problems to this (finding the resultant displacement) but I don't know how to find the second displacement. I tried looking this problem up and couldn't find any help that led to the right answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2014 #2

lightgrav

Homework Helper

if you're ok with using just components, then x1+ x2 = xtotal ... gives you x2 since you know x1 and xtotal.
    similarly, y1 + y2 = ytotal gives you y2 since you know y1 and ytotal.

Don't forget Pythagoras, if they want magnitudes!

4. Jan 19, 2014 #3
    Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted