1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnitude and direction of acceleration

1. Oct 17, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A car with a mass of 1.3x10^4kg is initially moving at 35 km/hr in a straight line when the car comes to a complete stop at 15m. What is the magnitude and direction of acceleration?b) the magnitude and direction of the breaking force c) thetime required to stop

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I got a) 20 m/s b) I didn't understand & c) I didn't understand eathier

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2015 #2
    Hi! You need to include an attempt at a solution, or we can't help you with the problem. Please edit your post and give us any attempts you've made. :smile:

4. Oct 18, 2015 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Technically, the question ought to state that acceleration is uniform. Do you know the SUVAT equations?

A) asks for the magnitude and direction of an acceleration. Your proposed answer is a speed. If you meant 20m/s2 then I don't think that is right (and you still have not specified a direction). Please post the equations you applied and show your working.

For b), what equation connects acceleration with force? (And it's braking force, not breaking force. Nothing gets broken in the process.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted