Magnitude and direction of current

In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine the magnitude and direction of the current needed to keep a conducting bar stationary on a tilted, frictionless plane under the influence of a uniform magnetic field and gravity. The relevant equation, F=I(l×B), is mentioned and the direction of the magnetic force is highlighted as an important factor to consider when balancing forces. The use of the unit vector k in the expression for the component of gravitational force is also noted as incorrect.
Steenrod

Homework Statement

A conducting bar of length l is placed on a frictionless plane tilted at an angle θ from the horizontal.A uniform magnetic field is applied to the vertical direction.To prevent the bar from sliding down, a voltage source is connected to the ends of the bar with current flowing through.Determine the magnitude and direction of the current such that the bar will remain stationary.

Homework Equations

I think F=I(l×B) is relevant here.As besides B=B k-cap. But I am not sure I am on the right track. Could anyone please tell me how to proceed?I was trying to balance force F by F=mg sin θ (k-cap)= I(l×B). But it seems to make no sense.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're on the right track. You'll need to consider the direction of the magnetic force when deciding how to balance the forces. Note that the component of the gravitational force mgsinθ does not point in the z direction. So, you don't want the "k-cap" in the expression for this component of force.

Thank you for the answer.How silly of me to use that unit vector k.

1. What is the magnitude of current?

The magnitude of current is a measure of the amount of electric charge flowing through a circuit per unit time. It is typically measured in amperes (A).

2. How is the direction of current determined?

The direction of current is determined by the flow of positive charges. Conventionally, current is said to flow from the positive terminal of a battery to the negative terminal. However, in reality, electrons (which have a negative charge) actually flow in the opposite direction.

3. How is current different from voltage?

Current and voltage are two related but distinct concepts in electricity. While current is a measure of the flow of electric charge, voltage is a measure of the potential difference between two points in a circuit. In other words, voltage is the driving force that causes current to flow.

4. Can current change direction?

Yes, current can change direction in an alternating current (AC) circuit. In AC circuits, the direction of current changes periodically, typically at a rate of 60 cycles per second in the United States. In contrast, current in a direct current (DC) circuit flows in only one direction.

5. How is the magnitude of current affected by resistance?

The magnitude of current is inversely proportional to resistance, meaning that as resistance increases, current decreases. This relationship is described by Ohm's Law, which states that current (I) equals voltage (V) divided by resistance (R), or I = V/R.