Electric field of concentric rings

In summary, the conversation discussed deriving the electric field at a distance z above the center of a single uniformly charged ring of radius R. The conversation then moved on to discussing two uniformly charged concentric rings, where the inner ring has radius R and carries a uniformly distributed total charge +[Q], and the outer ring has radius 3R and carries a uniform charge per length, λ. It was mentioned that there may be a mistake in the calculation of the electric field at distance z above the center due to the outer ring, with the correct denominator being ((2R)^2+(3R)^2)^3/2. Finally, it was suggested to apply the previously derived result for the electric field at distance z above the center of
cookiemnstr510510

Homework Statement

Derive the electric field a distance, z, above the center of a single uniformly charged ring of radius, R, with a linear charge density, λ. You are now given two uniformly charged concentric rings. The inner ring has radius, R, and carries a uniformly distributed total charge +[Q]. The outer ring has radius 3R and carries a uniform charge per length, λ. If the resulting electric field from the two rings is zero at an axial height of z=2R above the centers of the two rings, determine the value of λ.

Im wondering if I've solved for λ correctly

Homework Equations

All relevant equations and work are attached in with clean typed images/work

The Attempt at a Solution

All relevant equations and work are attached in with clean typed images/work

Thanks

Attachments

• Concentric Ring 1.png
    Concentric Ring 1.png
    28.1 KB · Views: 545
  • Concentric Ring 2.png
    Concentric Ring 2.png
    16.7 KB · Views: 593
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you have a mistake in the calculation of ##E_2##. The denominator should be ##{((2R)^2+(3R)^2)}^{3/2}##.

But I see no reason why you repeat the calculation. I mean you already found that the electric field at distance z above the centre due to a uniformed charged ring of radius R . Just apply this result for radius R=3R (if I can write it that way but I guess you ll understand what I mean).

Likes cookiemnstr510510
Delta² said:
I think you have a mistake in the calculation of ##E_2##. The denominator should be ##{((2R)^2+(3R)^2)}^{3/2}##.

But I see no reason why you repeat the calculation. I mean you already found that the electric field at distance z above the centre due to a uniformed charged ring of radius R . Just apply this result for radius R=3R (if I can write it that way but I guess you ll understand what I mean).
Ahhh okay, yes you're correct. okay, Ill try that out and see what λ I get

Likes Delta2

1. What is the electric field of concentric rings?

The electric field of concentric rings is the force per unit charge experienced by a test charge placed at any point in the space surrounding the rings. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, and is measured in units of newtons per coulomb (N/C).

2. How is the electric field of concentric rings calculated?

The electric field of concentric rings can be calculated using the formula E = kQ/r², where k is the Coulomb's constant (9 x 10^9 Nm²/C²), Q is the total charge of the rings, and r is the distance from the center of the rings to the point where the electric field is being measured.

3. What is the direction of the electric field of concentric rings?

The direction of the electric field at any point in the space surrounding the rings is always radial, meaning it points directly away from or towards the center of the rings. The direction can be determined using the concept of superposition, where the individual electric fields of each ring are added together to find the total electric field at a point.

4. How does the electric field of concentric rings change with distance?

The electric field of concentric rings follows an inverse square relationship with distance, meaning it decreases as the distance from the rings increases. This is because the electric field is spread out over a larger area as the distance increases, resulting in a weaker force per unit charge.

5. What are some real-world applications of the electric field of concentric rings?

The electric field of concentric rings has various applications in technology, such as in particle accelerators, mass spectrometers, and ion traps. It is also used in medical imaging techniques, such as MRI machines, to manipulate and control charged particles. Understanding the electric field of concentric rings is also important in fields such as electronics, electromagnetism, and plasma physics.