• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Electric field of concentric rings

Homework Statement

Derive the electric field a distance, z, above the center of a single uniformly charged ring of radius, R, with a linear charge density, λ. You are now given two uniformly charged concentric rings. The inner ring has radius, R, and carries a uniformly distributed total charge +[Q]. The outer ring has radius 3R and carries a uniform charge per length, λ. If the resulting electric field from the two rings is zero at an axial height of z=2R above the centers of the two rings, determine the value of λ.

Im wondering if I've solved for λ correctly

Homework Equations

All relevant equations and work are attached in with clean typed images/work

The Attempt at a Solution

All relevant equations and work are attached in with clean typed images/work

Thanks

Attachments

Answers and Replies

Delta2
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
I think you have a mistake in the calculation of ##E_2##. The denominator should be ##{((2R)^2+(3R)^2)}^{3/2}##.

But I see no reason why you repeat the calculation. I mean you already found that the electric field at distance z above the centre due to a uniformed charged ring of radius R . Just apply this result for radius R=3R (if I can write it that way but I guess you ll understand what I mean).

I think you have a mistake in the calculation of ##E_2##. The denominator should be ##{((2R)^2+(3R)^2)}^{3/2}##.

But I see no reason why you repeat the calculation. I mean you already found that the electric field at distance z above the centre due to a uniformed charged ring of radius R . Just apply this result for radius R=3R (if I can write it that way but I guess you ll understand what I mean).
Ahhh okay, yes you're correct. okay, Ill try that out and see what λ I get