Magnitude of Frictional Force in Simple Harmonic Motion

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Rotnort
Messages
5
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


upload_2017-6-11_1-11-47.png


I do not fully grasp the concept behind all of these sub questions (i)-(iv).

Homework Equations


v=wAcos(wt) (SMH)?
Friction Force = Coefficient of Friction * Normal Force

The Attempt at a Solution



(i) Varying as simple harmonic motion sees varying acceleration as it oscillates forwards, until a stationary point and then backwards.

(ii) Same (not varying) as block A moves with block B, in identical harmonic motion?

(iii) I think this has to do with the result of (ii), which would indicate (ii)'s correct answer is 'varying' but I am not sure why (conceptually).

(iv) as (iii)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
F=ma. If a is varying, what can be said about F?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Rotnort
jbriggs444 said:
F=ma. If a is varying, what can be said about F?
I see, very simple. Thank you!

So for (iii), block A would be more likely to slip when block B is at x=d because at x=d block B would have greater acceleration (would it?)
 
Last edited:
Rotnort said:
I see, very simple. Thank you!

So for (iii), block A would be more likely to slip when block B is at x=d because at x=d block B would have greater acceleration (would it?)
Yes!