Magnitude of induced voltage in conductor within AC solenoid

In summary: Keep in mind that this is a simplified calculation and there may be other factors that could affect the actual induced voltage. However, for your intended application, 1V may be sufficient and using higher frequencies could potentially increase the induced voltage significantly.
uby
Please note, I'm not in school anymore -- just a basic physics question!

Homework Statement

A conductor is placed inside the coil of an induction heater.

Imagine that the inductor coil has radius R, number of turns N, operating frequency f [Hz], drawing current I = I0 * sin(2*pi*f*t).

The conductor is a cylinder of radius r located concentric to the inductor.

Calculate the magnitude of the induced voltage V at a fixed position on the outer surface of the conductor as a function of time.

Homework Equations

V = dO/dt = d(B*A)/dt (where O is the magnetic flux given by B dot A, assuming entire flux goes through cross-sectional area)

B = mu * I / 2*R (where mu is permeability of air = (4*pi)E-7 T*A/m)

The Attempt at a Solution

V = d(B*A)/dt = d(mu*I*A/2*R)/dt = d(mu*I0*sin(2*pi*f*t)*A/2*R)/dt
V = mu*I0*A/2*R * d(sin(2*pi*f*t))/dt
V = pi*f*mu*I0*A/R *cos(2*pi*f*t)

A = pi*(R^2-r^2) is the area where magnetic field flux operates on conductor

so, for any position on the outer cylinder radius, the maximum magnitude of the induced voltage is found to be:
max(V) = pi^2*(R^2-r^2)*f*mu*I0/R

putting some rough numbers on this:

let R = 0.05 m, r = 0.025 m, f = 100000 Hz, I0 = 20 Amps,
then max(V) = 0.93 VDoes this look correct?

About 1V may not seem like much, but it is for my intended application! And if I need to use megahertz range frequencies the induced voltage goes up by orders of magnitude!

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, your calculation looks correct. The maximum magnitude of the induced voltage is dependent on the parameters you've specified, so if any of these are changed, the result may change as well.

What factors affect the magnitude of induced voltage in a conductor within an AC solenoid?

The magnitude of induced voltage in a conductor within an AC solenoid depends on the rate of change of the magnetic field, the number of turns in the solenoid, the strength of the magnetic field, and the cross-sectional area of the conductor.

How does the rate of change of the magnetic field affect the induced voltage in a conductor within an AC solenoid?

The induced voltage in a conductor within an AC solenoid is directly proportional to the rate of change of the magnetic field. This means that a faster changing magnetic field will result in a higher induced voltage in the conductor.

What is the relationship between the number of turns in the solenoid and the induced voltage in a conductor within an AC solenoid?

The induced voltage in a conductor within an AC solenoid is directly proportional to the number of turns in the solenoid. This means that increasing the number of turns in the solenoid will result in a higher induced voltage in the conductor.

How does the strength of the magnetic field affect the induced voltage in a conductor within an AC solenoid?

The induced voltage in a conductor within an AC solenoid is directly proportional to the strength of the magnetic field. This means that a stronger magnetic field will result in a higher induced voltage in the conductor.

Why does the cross-sectional area of the conductor affect the induced voltage in a conductor within an AC solenoid?

The induced voltage in a conductor within an AC solenoid is inversely proportional to the cross-sectional area of the conductor. This means that a larger cross-sectional area will result in a lower induced voltage in the conductor. This is because a larger area allows for more current to flow, which reduces the induced voltage.