Magnitude of Single Displacement:

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where a novice golfer takes three strokes to sink the ball while an expert golfer can make it in a single stroke. The question asks for the magnitude of this single displacement. The conversation also includes equations and attempts at solving the problem, with the final answer being the magnitude of a "new vector" created by adding the initial three vectors together in the correct direction.
sonastylol
[SOLVED] Magnitude of Single Displacement:

Please bear with me, I'm going to try and properly format this, so you forum-goers actually want to help me out. :cool:

Homework Statement

A novice golfer on the green takes three strokes to sink the ball. The successive displacements are 7.4 m to the north, 2.8 m northeast, and 9.9 m 79degreeswest of south. Starting at the same initial point, an expert (lucky) golfer could make the hole in a single displacement. What is the magnitude of this single displacement? Answer in units of m.

Homework Equations

Magnitude = [tex]\sqrt{(axi)^2 + (ayj)^2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

For this equation:

Magnitude of A: [tex]\sqrt{(0)^2 + (7.4)^2}[/tex]
Magnitude of B: [tex]\sqrt{(2.8cos45)^2 + (2.8sin45)^2}[/tex]

Heres the tricky part:
Vector C is described as 9.9m 79 degrees west of south. Does this make it 191 degrees?
If yes: Vector C should be: [tex]\sqrt{(9.9cos191)^2 + (9.9sin191)^2}[/tex]

I then add up the values of Magnitude A, B, C to get the answer... yes?

Thanks for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
No you don't add the magnitudes to get the final magnitude. You need to find out what direction he should have hit the ball to make it in one shot and then find the magnitude. Try drawing a diagram it will help.

i don't exactly understand what we are trying to do anymore then.. the answer isn't the addition of the 3 vectors magnitudes?

Is the answer the magnitude of one "new vector?" -- Like if we make a Vector D and give it an x and y component, from the addition of the first 3 vectors?

sonastylol said:
Is the answer the magnitude of one "new vector?" -- Like if we make a Vector D and give it an x and y component, from the addition of the first 3 vectors?

That is correct.

hmmm... I think maybe my angles are wrong.

I did Vector D x-components: 0 + (2.8cos(45)) + (9.9cos(191))
Vector D y-components: 7.4 + (2.8sin(45)) + (9.9sin(191))

The answer ended up being 10.769.Thank you :)

1. What is the magnitude of single displacement?

The magnitude of single displacement is a measurement of the amount of energy released or absorbed during a single displacement reaction. It is represented by a numerical value and is usually expressed in units such as joules (J) or kilojoules (kJ).

2. How is the magnitude of single displacement calculated?

The magnitude of single displacement is calculated by taking into account the chemical equation for the reaction, the stoichiometric coefficients, and the enthalpy values of the reactants and products. This calculation can be done using the Hess's law or the bond enthalpy method.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of single displacement?

The magnitude of single displacement is affected by several factors such as the nature of the reactants and products, the temperature and pressure of the reaction, and the presence of a catalyst. In addition, the physical state of the reactants and products, as well as the concentration of the reactants, can also influence the magnitude of single displacement.

4. How does the magnitude of single displacement relate to the rate of the reaction?

The magnitude of single displacement is directly related to the rate of the reaction. A higher magnitude of single displacement indicates a larger energy change, which usually results in a faster reaction rate. This is because a higher energy change means that the reactants have enough energy to overcome the activation energy barrier and form products.

5. Why is it important to know the magnitude of single displacement in a chemical reaction?

Knowing the magnitude of single displacement is important for several reasons. Firstly, it helps us understand the energy changes that occur during a reaction, which is crucial for predicting the feasibility of a reaction. Additionally, it allows us to compare the relative stabilities of different reactants and products, and to determine the direction in which a reaction will proceed. The magnitude of single displacement also plays a crucial role in industries such as chemical engineering, where it is used to optimize reaction conditions and design efficient processes.