Magnitude of the Acceleration of an Elevator when it first begins to move

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
xsorealx
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A person stands on a bathroom scale in a motionless elevator. When the elevator begins to move, the scale briefly reads only 0.88 of the person's regular weight.

Calculate the magnitude of the acceleration of the elevator.


Homework Equations



w=mg
F=Ma

The Attempt at a Solution



Fn-Fg=ma
A=Fn-Fg/m
A=9.8-9.8/.88

I know that answer is definitely wrong because it can't be 0.

I am completely stuck on this problem, any help would be appreciated, thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
xsorealx said:

Homework Statement



A person stands on a bathroom scale in a motionless elevator. When the elevator begins to move, the scale briefly reads only 0.88 of the person's regular weight.

Calculate the magnitude of the acceleration of the elevator.


Homework Equations



w=mg
F=Ma

The Attempt at a Solution



Fn-Fg=ma
A=Fn-Fg/m
A=9.8-9.8/.88

I know that answer is definitely wrong because it can't be 0.

I am completely stuck on this problem, any help would be appreciated, thanks!
xsorealx, welcome to PF!
Your algebra is off, and so is your calculation for the variables. It's [tex]a = (F_n - F_g)/m[/tex], where [tex]F_g = mg[/tex], and [tex]F_n[/tex] is the scale reading.