1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnitude of the initial velocity of projectile

1. Sep 18, 2011 #1
    A cannon sends a projectile towards a target a distance 1210 m away. The initial velocity makes an angle 26o with the horizontal. The target is hit. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2 .
    What is the magnitude of the initial velocity?
    Answer in units of m/s

y = viy•t +0.5•ay•t2
    vix = vi•cos(Theta)
    vfy = viy + ay*t
    I made a triangle with angle 26o, x=605, then solve for Ymax then got 265.214m. I think the next step is solving for time to get some kind of velocity of X or Y. Is 265m correct, what do I solve for next and how?
    Any suggestions or advice welcome
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2011 #2

PeterO

Homework Helper

Many texts have a derivation of the range of a projectile in general terms, which express the answer merely in terms of the speed and angle of projection [it only applies for level round]. You can use that to solve directly. The derivation is often presented as part of the proof of desired angle for maximum range.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook